Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Little village, 7 miles out of Skegness.
Beach 5 minutes walk away and countryside all around so best of both worlds. It's quiet (estate agents tend to call it the 'waiting for God' village), but we love it. Been here four and a half years, but planned the move here for about 10 years before that. It came a little earlier than we expected, but I'm so glad it did
Sounds lovely, and quite like where I grew up in Cumbria (it was often thought of as a retirement place). I wouldn't want to live there now, as it gets very busy in summer.

Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
I'm rather odd, I want to move back to Northern Saskatchewan. yes winters are cold, but the people are very friendly, and the land is stunning... besides, my roots are there, and I feel at home... other than that, i'd move south and west, to the foothills of southern Alberta... it's absolutely gorgeous, and even though it's so close to the mountains, it's still prairie grassland, and just amazing. it's also a tad warmer than here, though the wind is a constant force.

You wouldn't see me on Vancouver Island, too many ignorant tourists, and too many people altogether, though it's gorgeous and the weather is very mild. My aunt and Uncle life there, and I've got to visit a few times, though it rained the entire time I was there on the first trip.
You aren't odd Unfortunately I can't even envisage any of the places you have mentioned as I have never been That photo looks stunning though!

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Wildernesse for me I think!

Other than that Alberta, Canada!
Rips. Yes, Wildernesse is a pretty special place ... although there is the odd house dotted along the opposite side of the loch now, so not as remote as it was when Mike was there ... although perhaps that wouldn't be such a bad thing. It is a beautiful place. Have you ever been up?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I think I would be off to Austrailia to live near lot of my family out there. If i had to stay in this country then I would like to live in a very rural area of Devon, Wales or Yorkshire.
Australia and NZ do both look fab, but I have never really had a yearning to live abroad. Funny how we all seem to choose rural living ... I wonder if that is because it is better for our dogs?

Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
For me Northumberland, there are some beautiful villages set in countryside and about 5 mins from the beach, its the county that everyone forgets
Northumberland is beautiful too, and the fact it isn't really on the tourist trail keeps it one of the UK's best kept secrets

Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post
for us it would have to be cumbria....not in the touristy bit. anywhere along the coast would be good. have stayed in a small village called Baggrow which has nothing but a pub but is not far from towns/larger villages with shops etc.....
I am from Cumbria and have never heard of Baggrow? Sounds fab though! There are still some lovely, remote and quiet parts of Cumbria, but obviously the Lakes and surrounding countryside heave with tourists all year round, which is enough to put me off. Hubby used to work at a farm at Haweswater and it is such a lovely area.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
I would go back to Devon, somewhere quiet but not too remote, or would love to have a longboat n live on the river.
Ooh now that would be different. I don't think there would be enough room on a longboat for all my lot!

Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Always wanted to move from Edinburgh to South west Scotland . Moved 9 months ago and have the beach 5 mins away and th countryside all around . Love it
How nice to realise your dream. You will have to post some pics of your countryside Whereabouts in the SW Scotland are you?
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I am from Cumbria and have never heard of Baggrow?

Ooh, I live about 5 miles from there
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Ooh now that would be different. I don't think there would be enough room on a longboat for all my lot!

How nice to realise your dream. You will have to post some pics of your countryside Whereabouts in the SW Scotland are you?

Portpatrick
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
I am from Cumbria and have never heard of Baggrow?

Ooh, I live about 5 miles from there
its a lovely part of the county. have family in the cockermouth area so know the area reasonably well......it is tucked away.....with its neighbouring village of blennerhassett
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 04:07 PM
You can stick the hot climates, I'm a winter girl My mum lived in Mallorca for 20 years and sometimes when I went over there, I had to stay indoors with the air con on it was too darn hot sometimes, so I'd be a prisoner in my own home in a hot country. Give me the Isle of Wight, it has everything, countryside, quaint towns, normal towns, seaside towns, QUIET (another waiting for God place!), so much variety over there, and when you sit up high on the clifftops in Shanklin, you'd think your were in Mallorca anyway, except you had a nice breeze
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
For me Northumberland, there are some beautiful villages set in countryside and about 5 mins from the beach, its the county that everyone forgets
Hubby's from Northumberland... his folks since upped sticks to move to the Isle of Skye.

For me - Somerset - around Cheddar and the Mendips area, used to work at a boarding school there and it was the best 2 years of my life and I loved it there.
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2011, 07:48 PM
To be honest i wouldnt move from where i am now.
I live in the country, in a small village,about 15mins from the nearest shopping town. My children have their friends to play with, and go to a small local school ( 80 pupils) we have lovely walks for the dogs.
we live in the middle of both sets of parents ( 20 minute drive) there is very little in the way of crime and no antisocial behaviour.
Theres only one thing id change and thats to have a little bit better weather not too hot just nice days with a gentle breeze, but hey you cant have it all
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Portpatrick
I don't think I know it unfortunately, but hubby spent a while working over in the SW so will ask him

Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post
its a lovely part of the county. have family in the cockermouth area so know the area reasonably well......it is tucked away.....with its neighbouring village of blennerhassett
Ahh too far north west for my knowledge. I was from the South Lakes.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
You can stick the hot climates, I'm a winter girl My mum lived in Mallorca for 20 years and sometimes when I went over there, I had to stay indoors with the air con on it was too darn hot sometimes, so I'd be a prisoner in my own home in a hot country. Give me the Isle of Wight, it has everything, countryside, quaint towns, normal towns, seaside towns, QUIET (another waiting for God place!), so much variety over there, and when you sit up high on the clifftops in Shanklin, you'd think your were in Mallorca anyway, except you had a nice breeze
I definitely agree with you about hot climes, Helen ... not for me at all! I like it warm and sunny - but not hot. I have never bee to the Isle of Wight. It sounds lovely though.
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »