Our sister sites
Our sister sites
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Meeting other dogs

hey everyone,

arthur has gotton so big since we fisrt got him home its amazing, loving having him around. he is so good on walks and isnt jumping up on passers by anymore but he is still very exited when he sees other dogs.

what can i do help him calm down, he wont be distracted and is just desperate to play. we let him off in a big field and he just ran straight for the first dog he saw which is kinda worrying as what if that dog isnt friendly?? with no distractions he always comes back.

i know he is still a puppy (4.5 months) but is there anything else i can do?

thanks
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Some controlled greetings may be helpful for Arthur, as the best teachers of how to greet a dog tends to be the dogs themselves! If you know of anyone with a calm dog that you could introduce Arthur to, this may be a valuable way of training - having Arthur on lead approaching a dog that will ignore him, and then only moving closer to the dog when Arthur is behaving calmly, will teach him that excitement means not meeting the dog, calmness means he gets to say hello.
I spotted that you're in Surrey, perhaps you could come along to one of the Dogsey Surrey walks we've just started doing? We had our first one this weekend but we're arranging another for September, we have one doggy that's in need of some manners lessons from other dogs who did fantastically on Saturday's walk so I'm pretty sure it may help Arthur too.
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=130999
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2010, 11:43 AM
thanks for the reply

i have a friend with a calm older dog and next door also has one to. he gets along with next doors but is just very bouncy. just gets over exited. he did however calm down a lot when he was walking with her, he wasnt jumping on her and was much calmer so do you think that would be the way foward, trying to walk with other people and their dogs?

i also saw the surrey dog walk pictures and it looked really good fun. if you do another one i would love to bring him along. thanks for the info.