Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2009, 05:12 PM

Help with ideas...

I have a good friend coming to stay with me this weekend and I need to get some ideas for dinner and breakfast the following morning......

The catch is that she is a vegetarian...not a problem I hear you all say She is also Wheat intolerant and Im afraid im a bit stuck for ideas....

Can anyone give me a hand???
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2009, 05:21 PM
A vegetable curry springs to mind, does she eat eggs? You could do scrambled eggs, beans, mushrooms, hash browns for breckie?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 07:22 PM
I think I`d ask her what she wants to eat in advance and buy it in. There are so many sorts of vegetarian - some who don`t have milk or eggs for example.
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I already did and was told that as long as there was no meat or wheat it would be fine.

My friend does not cook - beyond chips....it beats me how she survives but she does....I just dont want to eat nothing but chips for a whole weekend and thought it would be nice to go to the effort of cooking her something yummy.

Thanks aliwin for the suggestions.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 07:32 AM
My daughter is a veggie although not wheat intolerant and she loves jacket potatoes with cheese, veggie bacon and beans, also you can buy Quorn chicken and so do a roast with that as the alternative to meat.
You can get veggie bacon (normally in the freezer veggie section) so could do a good old fry up.
Fruit salads are nice for desert or yogurts.
Have a look round the veggie sections in the supermarket the options are endless and you then just have that with whatever everyone else is having.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 08:04 AM
this site might have a few good recipes
http://www.cuisine.com.au/recipe-fin...true&x=40&y=14
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
My daughter is a veggie although not wheat intolerant and she loves jacket potatoes with cheese, veggie bacon and beans, also you can buy Quorn chicken and so do a roast with that as the alternative to meat.
You can get veggie bacon (normally in the freezer veggie section) so could do a good old fry up.
Fruit salads are nice for desert or yogurts.
Have a look round the veggie sections in the supermarket the options are endless and you then just have that with whatever everyone else is having.
Sadly Quorn has wheat in as have most of the substitute meats, I did a quick reckie of my fridge

A veggie chilli is another option. I'm a veggie too, with an egg allergy, so I know I am hard to cater for. I would say keep it fairly simple cos it always scares me when someone is making me something special and ellaborate
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 09:47 AM
I've been a veggie for many years and my fave dishes are jacket pototo with cheese and onion, cheese and beans, vegetarian chilli or curry, (Tesco's do a nice canned range but you would need to check re your friends intolerances).

I've never eaten fish or eggs but I expect there are lots of dishes such as kedgeree that would be great, again if the intolerences were catered for.

A lot of people don't understand how I can enjoy a roast dinner without the meat but I do, its lovely so it may be worth checking if thats another option.

Good luck and I hope you have lots of fun
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 10:07 AM
As a couple of others have suggested, what about vegetable chili and make it a Mexican theme by doing some quesadillas and tortillas chips and salsa dip to go along with it. I am not a veggie but this combination is one of my favorite meals.

Let me know if you want the recipes I use for the chili, quesadillas, etc.
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Fabulous thanks everyone....

I quite like the idea of doing a roast dinner for her - I know nutroast is a popular favourite with vegetarians ill have to look into how to make it or where to buy it....can you tell I dont have a clue LOL. They say its the thought that counts.

Vegetarian Chilli sounds yum too though so if I could have a recipe for that too I would be very grateful.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >