View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Lol, me too, my socks come off as soon as the trainers do when I've walked the dogs, unless it's really, really cold and I keep them on for at least 10 minutes!!! Yep, me too, always took my shoes off to drive and people used to think I was mad!!! My slippers get worn the most to go out into the garden on dog poo patrol, other than that, only worn in the kitchen, it's bare feet for me all the time! I once had a catering trailer, and the amount of people who used to poke their heads over the back door only to see me cooking their bacon sarnie in bare feet! Lol! I do have nice feet though, they're not minging either, just like my carpets aren't!!!!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 05:50 PM
I don't ask people to do it, but they can if they want. The kids have to if they are going upstairs though.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by ALexa View Post
Now i have my own house, laminate floors and 6 dogs.....its not imacculate and has no porch. I dont see the point in removing shoes and running the risk of standing on a bone, toy, biscuit or something worse LOL
I guess it's a matter of tradition, in particular where we are at the moment it's a very rural community, very poor, and although many people keep a dog it's almost always keept outside and never allowed in the house. Also, until recently hardly anyone had a vacuum cleaner so all floors had to be washed and sweept by hand so removing ones shoes was a way of saying 'Look I'm saving you some work' and a courtesy.

It always enrages me when I see the dogs keept outside because to be honest the state of many homes is not much better than the outside kennel the poor dog has to live in.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 02:45 PM
No, there's no point!

Our downstairs carpet is old and has a sort of 70's swirly pattern going on. The dogs are allowed in there all the time, and I often tramp around in my boots/wellies/trainers.

You never know what you will stand on - dog biscuits, toys etc, so better off not to chance it!

I suspect it's cos if I'm home, I'm usually outside, so there is no point taking my shoes on and off all night. Once I'm finished, about 9.30pm, I can take off my boots/wellies etc and put on my lovely warm pair of slippers that I wear once I'm 'done' outside for the day. Our house is too cold to not wear some sort of footwear!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I guess it's a matter of tradition, in particular where we are at the moment it's a very rural community, very poor, and although many people keep a dog it's almost always keept outside and never allowed in the house. Also, until recently hardly anyone had a vacuum cleaner so all floors had to be washed and sweept by hand so removing ones shoes was a way of saying 'Look I'm saving you some work' and a courtesy.

It always enrages me when I see the dogs keept outside because to be honest the state of many homes is not much better than the outside kennel the poor dog has to live in.
That's the way I look at it H? It used to sooooo annoy me, when I'd just finished hoovering, mum's carer would arrive, come in from the rain in black boots and walk on my carpet, leaving nice dark gritty marks on it GRRRRRRR! It's the first thing I do when I walk into somebody's house, take a look at the floor, if it's laminate and my shoes are clean it's ok, but I always ask, and if it's cream coloured carpet, then off they come, out of sheer courtesy!

So what size slippers do you take then H!!!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
That's the way I look at it H? It used to sooooo annoy me, when I'd just finished hoovering, mum's carer would arrive, come in from the rain in black boots and walk on my carpet, leaving nice dark gritty marks on it GRRRRRRR! :
I suppose I should mention that we never use our front door, so anyone coming in comes through the kitchen first, so all the wet and mud usually goes onto the mat and tiled floor!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I may have 5 dogs but my carpets are immaculate, so yes I would prefer everyone to remove their shoes. My dogs use the tradesmens entrance Which means they use the side access way and enter via the conservatory which is tiled. They never go upstairs and only use the lounge when we do. I also shampoo my carpets regularly to keep them fresh.
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I never wear shoes or slippers in the house, always go barefoot.

Downstairs with hard floors everyone else wears shoes-probably safer tbh, they aint usually that clean but upstairs in the lounge I have a cream carpet and light rug so shoes tend to come off. I have never asked anyone to take them off but most do, I probably wouldn't ask. The dogs are not generally allowed up there so it is pretty clean
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I suppose I should mention that we never use our front door, so anyone coming in comes through the kitchen first, so all the wet and mud usually goes onto the mat and tiled floor!
Same here - never used our front door for 22 years now! Everyone comes in the tradesman's entrance here, coz you park your cars around the back and walk straight into the bootroom and then the kitchen, but why even mess up my kitchen floor with your muddy boots though - I've just cleaned it!!!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
So what size slippers do you take then H!!!!
Since you ask it's 9 but I'm quite happy walking around in socks
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >