Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dethfire
New Member!
Male 

28-07-2016, 11:14 AM

New dog aggressive towards cat, no treats work

My wife and I adopted an 83lbs Mastiff/Lab. A mix that is supposed to be generally tolerant of cats. This is proving not to be the case. I have read dozens of dog to cat introduction how-to guides. The main issue is that when the dog sees the cat, he immediately lunges, barks, goes crazy. I hold him back (not easy) and my wife tries to redirect with treats and affection, but he is tunnel vision on the cat. There is no treat that interests him when this happens. Not even hotdog. He could care less and continues to lunge at the cat (behind a gate). So if I can't redirect with treats how in the world can we make progress? He also appears to get agitated at dogs that walk by the house. Again, there isn't a treat we've found that can redirect him. Please help, I will be devastated if we need to return him, but at this time I fear for the long term safety of my cat if we can't make progress. Thanks!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2016, 12:06 PM
So you're trying to reward his behaviour
I just tell mine to "leave it" rather loudly when they behave in a way I don't like, if you want to treat you do it once he complies. Of course you could let the cat teach him a lesson, an angry cats claws to the face usually do the trick.
Seriously while struggling to hold him back, forget the treats and tell him to leave or back off in no uncertain terms.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2016, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I just tell mine to "leave it" rather loudly when they behave in a way I don't like, if you want to treat you do it once he complies. Of course you could let the cat teach him a lesson, an angry cats claws to the face usually do the trick.
Seriously while struggling to hold him back, forget the treats and tell him to leave or back off in no uncertain terms.
Yeah, let Kitty sort him out!! Even my Ben is no match for a determined pussy!!
dethfire
New Member!
Male 

28-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
My cat is declawed. He was adopted a few years ago. This is not an easy dog to hold back and he doesn't know leave it yet. I can try telling him to sit.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Even declawed, cats can still defend themselves! The dog doesn't know he is declawed, and the cat will spit and arch his back and do all the cat stuff it needs to do. I would honestly back off and let the cat defend himself - after all, you cannot be with them 24 hours a day so the dog has to learn to leave the cat alone in any case.

You need to use the "Leave!" command, not the sit. Said in a loud and assertive tone, all dogs will respond and understand that you want them to stop what they are doing right now! Sit, stay and lie down commands are harder to teach, but the Leave command is a piece of cake that even a puppy will respond to.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Teach the Leave command by taking your dog away from any other distractions, have a high value treat in your hand, several in your pocket. Give the dog a treat, let him see another one in your hand, as he reaches for it, close your hand and say Leave.He will be confused when you close your hand and look at it, open your hand again, as he reaches for the treat, say Leave. When he stops attempting to take the treat, say Take It, and let him have the treat. Do this a few times until you are sure he has got the message. Then start doing it with a treat near your foot, when he goes to take the treat, cover it with your foot and say Leave, gradually you can transfer this to toys and anything you don't want him to have without permission (like the cat) It won't happen overnight, it will take time and patience, but it can be done, I have 5 large dogs and I can put all their food dishes out and hand them out one by one, and they all wait their turn.
I must say I find it very cruel and hard to understand why anyone would declaw a cat
dethfire
New Member!
Male 

28-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Even declawed, cats can still defend themselves! The dog doesn't know he is declawed, and the cat will spit and arch his back and do all the cat stuff it needs to do. I would honestly back off and let the cat defend himself - after all, you cannot be with them 24 hours a day so the dog has to learn to leave the cat alone in any case.
That sounds like horrible advice to let an 83 pound mastiff/lab charge your declawed cat. A serious gamble that your beloved cat will not be dead in a few seconds.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by dethfire View Post
That sounds like horrible advice to let an 83 pound mastiff/lab charge your declawed cat. A serious gamble that your beloved cat will not be dead in a few seconds.
Sorry, but you asked for advice and I gave it! Cats have many more weapons than just their claws - of course I don't know your cat. If he is a wee, timorous beastie then maybe it is not such good advice, but all the cats I have ever known have been more than a match for any dog, even a Mastiff!

TW gives good advice about teaching the leave command. I have never had to teach it to any of my dogs, they have just picked it up immediately, but maybe I am more fierce than TW - I doubt it quite frankly, but I may be !!

If you are prepared to watch the cat 24 hours a day, then so be it, but that seems an awful burden for you. Much better is to let the cat stand up for himself because you won't always be around to shout "Leave"!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Teach the Leave command by taking your dog away from any other distractions, have a high value treat in your hand, several in your pocket. Give the dog a treat, let him see another one in your hand, as he reaches for it, close your hand and say Leave.He will be confused when you close your hand and look at it, open your hand again, as he reaches for the treat, say Leave. When he stops attempting to take the treat, say Take It, and let him have the treat. Do this a few times until you are sure he has got the message. Then start doing it with a treat near your foot, when he goes to take the treat, cover it with your foot and say Leave, gradually you can transfer this to toys and anything you don't want him to have without permission (like the cat) It won't happen overnight, it will take time and patience, but it can be done, I have 5 large dogs and I can put all their food dishes out and hand them out one by one, and they all wait their turn.
I must say I find it very cruel and hard to understand why anyone would declaw a cat
Me too!

Takes all sorts I suppose
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Nikki, you have to remember this is a rescue dog, that probably has never had any proper home or training, it is also full grown and is used to having its own way. Not sure if the owners of this dog have ever had any other experience of dogs or training either, so best to assume not on both counts and start from scratch. I teach puppies not to snatch from a very early age, when they go to their new homes they already are aware of the basics. This is not always the case though, and this dog could well have been feral for a while as well, living off the land as it were, so it will have to be totally re educated as to the boundaries and behaviours required.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >