Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lindap2733
New Member!
Female 

22-09-2013, 10:40 AM

Hi all

Hope someone out there can help me.

I have an 8 yr old mixed breed dog with a chequered health history who is currently posing myself and the local vet with a real problem.

From being totally fine a week ago he has gone down hill rapidly - not eating, drinking and peeing copiously. He has lost 2 kilos and has had every test known to dog. His kidneys and liver are fine - according to the test results - but he is lethargic and miserable. He has been admitted twice for IV fluids.

He has just recently had three teeth removed, anal glands emptied and a small lump on his chest removed all under anaesthetic and recovered fairly well.

I am at my wits end and he is obviously not right.

He tries to eat but he swishes it round in his mouth and invariably spits it out. I have got maybe a spoonful of salmon and the same of mackerel down him but I am supposed to be giving him antibiotics orally in tablet form which is just not happening and stresses him and me out.

Sorry this is so long and depressing but I really need some other ideas.

Thanks
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 10:56 AM
WELCOME TO DOGSEY
Sorry to hear your boy is poorly
It sounds like he has an appetite,you said he tries to eat.Possibly something going on in his mouth or throat that's making it painful for him
Lindap2733
New Member!
Female 

22-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi there - yep that's what I thought but vets think not.

Taking him back tomorrow and if no joy might have to try another vet.

Thanks
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Whatever is wrong with him,he really needs to take those antibiotics.I would ask the vet for liquid form,easier maybe to syringe them in.A few days on them hopefully you'll see a change but he has to take them.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Must say I thought 'teeth' straight away but if he is under the care of your vet already it is him that should be coming up with the ideas about all this (especially as it sounds as if he is going downhill fast) and if his best answer is 'he doesn't have a clue' I'd be taking him along to ANOTHER VET!

Fingers crossed you find out what's causing this and it can be sorted out.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 11:59 AM
I am so sorry to be reading this about your dog. You must be worried sick . You are right in taking him back to the vet and if I were you I'd get a referral the vet college or at least a second opinion just in case you vet is missing something.

You mention that he's recently had teeth out. Does it look as though it has healed well? Maybe his mouth is very sore which would account for him not eating or wanting to drink. If he's not drinking it does seem odd that he is peeing so much though Is he on any medication and if so could he come off it for 48 hours to see if that helps.

Regarding the antibiotics don't even bother with putting it in food. Simply open his mouth wide (holding top and bottom jaw) and pop the tablet right at the back of his tongue and then close his mouth. I always do it that way and have never had a problem.

Good luck and keep us informed. I hope your little man is soon fully recovered.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Lindap2733 View Post
Hi there - yep that's what I thought but vets think not.

Taking him back tomorrow and if no joy might have to try another vet.

Thanks
I am sorry you and your dog are going through this, can you get your vet to refer him to Calder Vets in Dewsbury? It is a hospital with a lot of consultants there. They have give. We several of my dogs a good quality of life including one with similar symptoms.
Lindap2733
New Member!
Female 

22-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks everyone.

I have tried to open his mouth and get the antibiotics in but he has tried to bite me twice which makes me think it's his mouth. I will ask for an oral suspension.

Thanks again - it's very encouraging that so many of you have taken the time to respond.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Poor dog and poor you. I cannot suggest any more than has already been said, but if your vet has no idea what is wrong then I really do think that you need to take your dog to another vet as soon as possible.

I do hope he will pick up very quickly.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Sorry don't know your dogs name,but I wish him well,hope you can get some answers.Let us know how you get on(( hugs))
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >