Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lillypup
New Member!
Female 

09-06-2011, 01:07 PM

Raw Feeding new supplier

Hello, I am new here but been a raw feeder for nearly 6 years now, I have just been to a very nice place near where I live called Natural instinct, I wanted advice as my Standard poodle is just recovering from a gastric torsion, they had to open her stomach as well as the chest cavity and her main diet was chicken wings and carcas, I now want to put her on something with less bone while she recovers, I wondered if anyone has more advice as to what would be best to wean her on to while she recovers, Natural instinct have given me some trial packs but I am a little concerned regarding the bacteria from raw in her stomach at the moment and whether she will cope with it. I am feeding a tinned food from the vet at the moment for sensitivity after an operation but will only be doing this for the next few days. Hope someone may be able to help?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Firstly I wish your dog a speedy recovery

I'm certainly no expert and in fact feed raw myself, but I think I'd ask the vet for advice in this instance. I know that many vets are 'anti' raw feeding, but I think given the serious problem your poor poodle has had, on this occasion it might be an idea to get input from your vet.
Lillypup
New Member!
Female 

09-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Thank you, my vet has suggested I stay on the sensitivity for a few days and then she also suggested that I go to see this place called Natural Instinct, just down the road, as this is minced up raw with all the suppliments etc added already, unlike the bones I have been feeding regularly, I suppose I am really just looking for reassurance to be honest as I am terrified that I am going to cause her more problems if I go back on to raw as it was the worst experience I have had with dogs seeing what happened to her with the torsion. Bones and feeding raw didn't cause the problem however I must stress.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 01:47 PM
There are a few vets that aren't against raw, and some who are very pro-raw, I believe someone was composing a list on the BritBarf Yahoo group. Might be worth looking up their details and seeing if they would take the time to advise you over the phone.
I know many people continue to feed raw post-op but not sure about after a stomach operation.
One option might be to buy some human minces/meats and cook them for her as an alternative idea, obviously don't feed any cooked bones though.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Hi Lilypup Natural Instinct and Darlings which is similar look great foods, I looked into feeding them last year. The only drawback for me is having to buy a month supply at once, I don't have the freezer space most of the year or room for another freezer. It is also quite expensive .
http://www.naturalinstinct.com/
If you live nearby you may be able to buy small quantities at a time and collect it .
Lillypup
New Member!
Female 

09-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Thank you both for your advice, I really appreciate it and Lilly is really doing amazingly well after such a major trauma so I am really thankful
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Lillypup View Post
Thank you both for your advice, I really appreciate it and Lilly is really doing amazingly well after such a major trauma so I am really thankful
Poor Lilly, gastric torsion is a terrible condition. I hope your girl is better soon .
Lillypup
New Member!
Female 

09-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks again and yes it is a pain with the storage, my poor downstairs loo is the home of the dogs freezer and not very people friendly now but it saves me lots of money
Lynda D
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Can recommend Natural Instinct. My 2 have been on it for over a year & are great on it. I'm so impressed with the food that I have been selling it on their behalf alongside my other business & am in the process of expanding the dog food to include deliveries in the Hants/Surrey/W Sx areas. Not sure if I'm allowed to "advertise" in this forum (I'm new here) so shut up now!
DvnBiker
Dogsey Junior

13-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I do like the look of natural instinct and have bought their bones before but it is just the cost for me to feed 3 adults BCs