Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 11:44 AM

So proud of Honey.

I just can't really put into words how much, from her first walk she has suffered from fear aggression around other dogs after a attack, at the weekend she was on a walk with around twenty Greyhounds and Diesel, and only gave a little growl when Diesel was sniffing another dog, both dogs were the other side to each other then Honey, and then another dog tried to sniff Honey's behind, this had happened in the space of a second, after the little growl everyone separated and that was that.

Today we were in the park with the dogs on lead and we met a old lady with a old jack russell, Honey and Diesel were able to meet the old woman, and ignore the tiny terrier when it was barking and growling, the woman had the little dog sat down, and everyone was ok, when the woman left she even said meeting Honey and Diesel had made her day, I have to say meeting her made my day too, seeing Honey ignore a dog showing aggression, I never ever thought we'd get to this point! Whether it was training or not, I am so proud of her.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Wow that's such great progress, well done to you and Honey! How long did it take you to get her to that stage and what did you do to help her? Sounds like you've done a great job, whatever you did
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Well she's five in December so that long most of it was learning to read her body language as much as possible, letting her only meet dogs when both me and her were 100% comfortable, and Diesel helped too, he's very friendly, and seeing him meet other dogs while I was holding her back let her see the dog is about and just being careful who she meets, although there were some setbacks from other people who had no control of their dog, but it was mostly time and patience, not rushing her and giving her a escape when she's not feeling comfortable, and just letting her herself re-learn about other dogs, and realise they are not out to harm her
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks, that's really interesting and inspirational to read as I am currently working with my fear aggressive dog and hearing success stories like this give me the drive to battle on! Well done, it's such a long road but you should ve really proud of yourself and Honey
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Well done to Honey and to you. Is nice to hear a success story. You and Diesel sound like you've both helped Honey with her issues.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Thank you, Diesel has his own 'Diesel magic' he's turned a timid terrier into a hunting companion before, and has helped Honey so much .
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Well done Honey! Great to hear shes made so much progress
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Well done to both you and Honey for working through her issues and making so much progress.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Well done! It is so rewarding when you realise how much progress you have made with a dog like this.

I have had problems with Cherry being fear reactive. I think Parker definitely helps as he is very sociable and he will go and meet and greet any approaching dog so I can just walk Cherry past it if it is one she doesn't know.

Cherry has 2 new little friends (Bichon Frise) and it is lovely to see her approach them and her tail is wagging so hard she is so happy to meet them!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks everyone she's been on two more walks today the main off lead one to the meadows where we meet no dogs, and back to the park this evening, where we walked past a little wire haired jack russel, and two cocker spaniels, and a border collie who the owners had no lead and the dog no recall , and it was great, Diesel made some new friends, and Honey let the bc aproach her and even wagged her tail at him, so today has been a great day, not something non-dog people may understand, but I am walking on air .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >