Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 01:08 PM

On/Off Limp

As of last night (when I took Max to training and left Murphy at home with OH) Murphy has developed an on/off limp

It's on one of his back legs, and doesn't seem to cause him any pain, but he keeps lifting it off the floor and limping along.

However, it seems that sometimes he 'forgets' to limp, and has, this morning, bombed round the garden with Max for a good 30 mins, then when I called them back to the house, he limped all the way back.

He did a similar thing last night as well.

I've checked his paw and leg over several times - flexed the joints and toes, felt between pads and toes, squeezed it in various ways and to various degrees, and he just sits there.

He has licked it quite a bit, but never in the same place (e.g. sometimes on the toes, sometimes up his leg)

I'm loathe to take him to the vets, as I can't see what they would do that I can't, except give him an anti-inflammatory, and charge me £30!!

Should I wait and see if the limp disappears?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Didn't Helena's Zena have a similar problem a while ago? I would wait and see, maybe he's been stung or bitten

You know your own dog best hun, if you feel it's ok then just see how it goes.

Elaine xxx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 02:27 PM
could he be having some instability in the stifle due to a problem with his cruciate ligament?

it could be a good idea to have the vet check it if things continue
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
I hope he is ok. The on/off limp but still managing to bomb about sounds an awful lot like Skye when she first started. Though she didnt lick.
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Licking or bitting in a area can mean that is an area of pain. As a cainine massage therapist I would take note of the area. Since you have mentioned training, what kind? Some training can have severe detremential affects to the bone and muscle structure. As a trainer I was not aware to how much damage we have done to our dogs until I studied dog anatomy, I am aslo doing a thesis on such injuries.
My own dog has a limp on/off and when we had her xrayed sure enough damaged to Thoraic 4-6 and T10-L 3 Spondylosis. It might be worth while to have a visit to the vets if it does not disappear, at least that way you know what you are dealing with and how to help manage the pain as well as changing the way you approach training.
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2009, 10:51 PM
check his pads to make sure that hes not taken some of it off. That normally causes a limp that the dog can forget about when running around.

Gemmsie
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks guys.... we rested Murphy yesterday, he was only allowed out to toilet and mooch round the garden. We didn't let him hare around with Max at all.

Last night his limp was worse than ever. OH and I have both examined his foot and leg, and apart from it being very wet from licking, can't see or feel anything wrong with them.

Murphy hasn't whimpered, yelped, growled etc or made any other sign that there is pain when we manipulate his foot and leg.

However, I am going to try and get us in at the vets tonight, just to be on the safe side.

P.S. In terms of training, it was our other dog who I took to training on Tuesday, not the injured one. However, the training is just normal obedience-type training, done both on tarmac and an indoor sprung floor.