View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Help...again!!! Bella barking at joggers!

OK, so after a great walk in thepark yesterday where Bella was her usual self, completey not bothered by all sorts of dogs and people, today on her walk she has barked at 2 joggers, 3 times! We were walking around the hill behind our house(very quiet,only met 1 other dog and the joggers!,she is very used to the hill, we walk there a lot) and there were 2 joggers running around it (it's a walk in a large loop along footpaths) in the opposite direction. First time they passed she barked at them a bit, I just kept walking. Then they passes us again(obvioulsy they're going a lot faster than me with doggy and buggy and straggling 4 year old!) As I saw them approaching I moved off the path and made Bella sit and gave her a treat,planning to treat as they passed,....but as they jogged past she started barking again and this time also pulling towards them(didnt get anywhere-she was on short lead on harness) I told her No and walked on . Then as we were coming towards the end of the walk I see them approaching again. This time I decide to keep walking, and we are at a part with two paths running parralell a few feet apart and they(senisbly having been barked at twice now!) run up the other path to the one we are on. Again she barked, but not as bad, and didn't pull towards them. I shouted sorry to them and they laughed....but still I do feel bad when she barks at people.
We have actually seen them before, a few months ago and Bella was off lead, and she actually dropped her ball at their feet as they ran past with a little bark...which at the time I thought was because she thought they were playing ,and she wanted them to throw her ball....
But I dont really know what is going on.....I'm not convinced she is scared by them....but this all follows the incident where she growled at a jogger on Sunday....Think it is because they come running towards us and she is sort of warning them off....But I'm really unhappy about this behaviour....
Please help...
I am thinking of lots of treats ,rewarding any calm behaviour in presence of joggers etc....?????
These two joggers though quite often jog around that hill, where we often walk and I really need to teach Bella better behaviour towards joggers....I was very embarressed todayby her behaviour.
Sometimes ( like yeterday) she is so well behaved...then she goes and does something like this and I hate it so much She is such a lovely dog, but I am sure that joggers aren't going to think so if they are getting barked and growled at by her
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2010, 03:11 PM
You are doing well with removing her from the path when you spot the joggers.
But put a few treats in your hand, distract her and keep the attention on you until they are gone - feed the treats if she's calm and feed more treats if she stays calm and praise lots. Don't tell her off if she reacts just remove her and go into opposite direction. Practice watch me command lots so you can keep her attention whenever you need to. Praise and treat every time you call her to you.
It takes a bit of time but it works, it's not an overnight thing!
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks fluffymummy. You know I think a lot of my trouble is that she is SO unmotivated by food.(this is the dog that went 8 days on about 2 mouthfuls of kibble when I tried to switch her onto a dry complete )
Sometimes she will take treats,if out and about they have to be the highest value(tuna,cooked chicken ) but then she is only interested if there isnt something more interesting/stressful/exciting which could be just about anything where she's concerned.
Thinking about it I manage a lot better when I have her ball with me,cause a ball is something she DOES get excited about so I use that a lot to train with or distract her when out and about. Of course no ball at the moment (after her spey...still not alowed to chase balls) so that doesn't help....
Will persist though
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-03-2010, 10:01 PM
You need to make her (in the nicest possible way) do something else when they pass. You have a good start with the food and the ball.

I would suggest taking her somewhere there will be lots of joggers on your own (no kids ect) have her sit at a distance and reward with food ect and slowly decrease the distance.

After a while you should be able to have her sit as someone jogs past her., You can then walk her (slowly) around while people jog around her or past her, if she gets agitated make her sit again until she's calm or increase your distance. Eventually you'll find she disregards joggers in favour of the reward she expects when their around.

Btw I would use an extras special reward for this that she only gets around joggers.

Doing this on your own and concentrating fully on her will get a much quicker result than trying to in corperate it into everyday life.

If she's not foody keep her hungery for 12 to 24 hrs before training her and then use the highest value food you can find. I find pouched cat food works for most dogs.

Adam