View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2007, 08:22 PM
I like the ideas AnneUk came up with and minihaha,but I think we have an element in our society lately that do as they please and there will always be the underground breeding rings as found in this latest incident.So as for myself don't really have an answer but think it is a shame these people spoil it for all the responsible dog owners out there.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Ramble's suggestion that microchipping and licensing with a central data base is, IMHO, a good one. I don't think tatooing would work quite as well because if you are dealing with people who are training their dogs to fight each other I don't think they would have any qualms about cutting off their dog's ears to make identification impossible.

I think that first time owners should have to undergo some sort of training class before they get their dog - I think a lot of people would not go on to actually get a dog if they knew and understood just how much work is required to be put into a dog in order to end up with a sociable, well trained dog as the outcome.

We recently took a couple of friends out on a walk with us in order to put them off having a dog. It was cold, wet and muddy and they were horrified when we told them that we do two one hour walks a day whatever the weather and whatever the day of the year it is. Our friends are intelligent, responsible people and had no idea of the amount of work owning a dog necessitates. They have decided a dog is not for them.

I think all people who get a dog from a rescue should also have to attend classes on dog ownership in order that they fully understand what being a dog owner involves.

I think breeders should all be licenced and that each bitch should not be allowed to have more than a set number of litters and must be able to prove that their dogs have all had relevant health and temperament tests done. People contravening this regulation would have their licence revoked and not be allowed to breed again.

The biggest drawback with any regulating system is that the rescues would all be inundated with dogs from people who did not want/were unable to conform with the system.

BUT I think that whatever controls and restrictions are brought in - and I believe they will - they must be well thought out, considered plans made with the assistance of people who have in depth knowledge of dogs. To bring out a hastily put together quick fix will do more harm than good.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I think licences should be bought in for dog breeders. Basically, if you want to breed dogs, of any breed, then you need to obtain a licence before doing so. When you breed a litter of puppies they should all be registered onto some sort of system. That way the breeder will be known, and also the parents of the puppies born.

Also, I think the government should put their hands in their pockets and start paying for dog wardens. Dog wardens should patrol the streets just like police do. In the area where I live, I don't even know if there is a dog warden about...that's how cr@p my local council are about these things. The dog wardens should pick up, or at least question, all owners who appear to have out of control dogs on the other end of their leads.

Just my opinions.....
zepthedep
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi all
great points so far,

but what worries me about licences and tests , criminals are just that, criminals, and we allready have forged tax discs ,mot's ,driving licences, pedigree's etc, so it would be just something else for them to proffit from. Personaly I think microchip and DNA every dog is the way forward, with an on the spot fine of £1000 and 6 mths imprisonment for people who do not comply. Harsh I know but something needs to be done or more and more of us are going to loose the breeds we love. I cant see how you can legislate for what happens in a private home behind closed doors.
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
I think licences should be bought in for dog breeders. Basically, if you want to breed dogs, of any breed, then you need to obtain a licence before doing so. When you breed a litter of puppies they should all be registered onto some sort of system. That way the breeder will be known, and also the parents of the puppies born.

Also, I think the government should put their hands in their pockets and start paying for dog wardens. Dog wardens should patrol the streets just like police do. In the area where I live, I don't even know if there is a dog warden about...that's how cr@p my local council are about these things. The dog wardens should pick up, or at least question, all owners who appear to have out of control dogs on the other end of their leads.

Just my opinions.....
Think I agree with you Teeny, I think the law needs to be much more stringent on dog owners. Definitely a tough one to police but I think potential owners should be made to complete some sort of training/handling/general care course before they are allowed to keep any kind of dog. This would also put some people off buying dogs.

I think we need good dog wardens (have never come across one in my entire life) I don't think we'll ever eradicate dog attacks, just like you will never stop road accidents, despite speed cameras, bumps fines etc but it is way too easy for people to breed and buy dogs. I don't think any Tom, Dick and Harry should be allowed to breed either. Maybe kids should be taught in schools about how to treat animals and dogs in particular, not as a core subject but defo lessons on caring for pets.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by zepthedep View Post
Hi all
I cant see how you can legislate for what happens in a private home behind closed doors.

But those dogs will eventually come out of their homes and if they are running loose or being a nuisance then a dog warden could scan for a microchip and if it wasn't there then a massive fine should be imposed. If vets checked for chips every time a dog made a visit to them not only would it help enforce the regulation but would also assist in tracing stolen or lost dogs.

As in everything in life we will never be able to have 100% of people conforming as there will always be those who flout the law but it would be harder for irresponsible members of society to get away with it.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Think I agree with you Teeny, I think the law needs to be much more stringent on dog owners. Definitely a tough one to police but I think potential owners should be made to complete some sort of training/handling/general care course before they are allowed to keep any kind of dog. This would also put some people off buying dogs.

I think we need good dog wardens (have never come across one in my entire life) I don't think we'll ever eradicate dog attacks, just like you will never stop road accidents, despite speed cameras, bumps fines etc but it is way too easy for people to breed and buy dogs. I don't think any Tom, Dick and Harry should be allowed to breed either. Maybe kids should be taught in schools about how to treat animals and dogs in particular, not as a core subject but defo lessons on caring for pets.
Do you mean dogs by that?
The trouble is...anyone can have children can't they, so by saying not everyone can breed dogs etc...well, it opens up a lot doesn't it???
I also don't think it will ever really work as accidental litters etc will happen and people may wish to breed an occassional litter.
Far better to insist on every dog being registered..the DNA idea is a good one. If all dogs had to have 'papers' it would put back street breeders off, especially if the breeders were liable for any fees incurred.
I don't think you will stop back street breeding by insisting breeders are registered, the good breeders will,(and do already really) it's more important the pups are registered and the public is aware that every pup comes with papers/DNA smaples and registration etc. Just like a car. It would soon put the back yard ones off. :smt002
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2007, 10:20 PM
People who are inclined to break the law will continue to do so, How many cars are still driven without tax mot and insurance and they are a sight easier to keep tabs on than dogs. Just punish those that break the law and leave the rest of us in peace.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2007, 10:22 PM
I think that this is a tough question as many ideas are tough to police and manage; let alone enforce .

But these are my thoughts;

1. Every dog whether Pedigree or cross-breed should be registered with one main organisation. Each dog should be registered to one person who is willing to be held accountable for their dogs actions.

Owning a dog should be made more difficult.

2. It should be made law for every dog to be insured, just like cars. Insurance premiums being flexible and reduced when a dog passes an obeidence course...Similar to that of the kennel clubs good citizen scheme.

3. Complusory castration/spaying of dogs not registered to a responsible,vetted breeder.

4. All breeders should be vetted and registered to a main organisation. Being a Breeder should be made difficult so only those responsible and dedicated enough make it to breeding stage.

5. Prospective homes should be vetted and prehaps the process should be similar to that of adopting a child in the UK. Long and difficult. I feel then only owners who really are serious and responsible would continue.

OK many of my ideas are alittle too far fetched but they are in the best interests on the public and dogs IN MY OPINION
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2007, 10:30 PM
I think the Government and Local Authorities find it much easier, and much cheaper, to do knee jerk reactions than having a comprehensive system of licencing dogs and their owners. I believe that owners of dogs who are aggressive and dangerous are let off too lightly - it is the dog that suffers, not them.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >