Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Boxerhelpp
New Member!
Male 

01-01-2009, 06:51 PM

Boxer Itching Bum - like crazzy

Hi
We just got a two yr old boxer...she seems to be itching her bum a lot, we have had a case with worms with out other dog - and she doesnt seem to have worms...as her bowels arent stinky or runny...she does have a bit of flatulence, however, for this breed I have her that it is quite normal
Do you guys know why she would be itching her bum so much? and if it is the anal glands - what is the best way to expose them with boxers? i have done it with my spaniel who is quite calm and old.. thank you!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey if you can rule out worms (when did you last worm your dog with a suitable preparation provided by your vet) it does sound like anal glands. It is not difficult to express anal glands, you can do this by lifting the dogs tail and pressing the sides of the dogs anus at '10 to 2' while holding a tissue in your hand, then gently wash the area with warm water and a little soap.
You can to some extent help to prevent the anal glands from becoming over full by feeding your dog some fibre in the diet, also by giving your dog frequent exercise with an opportunity to scent mark areas .