Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Matt & Vikki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Browser

I think getting him "done" would probably make him much more relaxed and easier to handle. With regard to maturity there are differing opinions on when to have them done as some behavour once learnt is not altered by the operation at the same time I know male mals for example are not fully mature until at least 2 and so getting them done too early can limit the amount of muscle they put on. I would guess that at a year old your boy would be in the safely mature zone.

The main thing would probably be that other dogs are less aggressive towrds him as he will not smell like a threat which could help in altering his behavour towards them.

Well done for taking him on and good look with the training, unfortunately he looks to have had a rocky road so far, hopefully you can bring the potential in him out in the best way.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Out of the litter of mals I bred two of them were males, both were neutered around about the 8-9 months of age, neither have been effected as far as growth of muscle. both are of good proportion and both have matured as much as I would have expected of an un neutered dog. so as far as neutering is concerned I am now swaying to the side that it does not effect a dogs developement. I think it may depend on each dog individually.

Mo
Browser
New Member!
Female 

28-02-2007, 09:06 AM
He is a pleasure to have around even though sometimes we feel a little out of our depth. Your mal looks absolutley stunning! You seem to be very experienced and know what you are talking about. Thank you for your input it is very helpful. I will keep you informed with our progress.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2007, 09:19 AM
my springer has a very high prey drive and will chase anything that moves!! if i can call him before he sets off on the chase he'll come back, but if i'm too late with my call he's off!!! just gotta time it right and keep my eye on him all the time!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by gaznweebeasties View Post
i have read some articles by ed frawley of leerburg kennels in the states. he trains police german shephards but says all dogs have this drive and that it should be incorporated into training
*Shudder*

I was on a forum when this man recommended some incredibly cruel training - all based on what he thought was a dog growling when in fact the poor creature was "grinning" in fear

Not sure what you've read but I'd avoid anything by him, sorry just being very honest. He also sells a collar made specifically for strangling dogs

He is talking about training in drive - there was a discussion on this on Dogsey a while ago but I'm hopeless at finding threads...it's common for older traditional trainers to talk about prey drive, play drive, defence drive etc. Here's aarticle about it:

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...02b/drives.htm

We had a Sibe at the first training class I attended - he was very good but a few times out on walks when he was let off, he did run off due to prey drive (ie he was chasing things) and didn't come back for hours. Mind you I was never sure about how much work his owner put in with him!

Wys
x
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 11:45 AM
this 'ed' chap doesnt also go by the moniker 'uncle ed' does he?

if he is the one I am thinking of I join Wys in shuddering!
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
*Shudder*

I was on a forum when this man recommended some incredibly cruel training - all based on what he thought was a dog growling when in fact the poor creature was "grinning" in fear

Not sure what you've read but I'd avoid anything by him, sorry just being very honest. He also sells a collar made specifically for strangling dogs
i only read the part about prey drive but looking a bit further into his site, this guy should be shot!!!!!

there is a section that he said about pack structure and one of his lessons to enforce pack structure with aggressive dogs was to loop the lead over a tree branch an hang the dog while you stare it down, and if its really aggressive let it pass out!!! is this guy for real!!

definately wont be visiting his site again
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Ed Frawley is a disgusting human being who should never be allowed within a hundred feet of any dog.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3