View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 12:19 PM

Any difference in training a male than a female?

It may sound silly but now more people are finding out we're having a boy pup they're saying

"dogs are dirty"
"dogs take longer to train they don't listen to you"
"they will pee and poo everywhere"

its really doing my head in now so i thought id get to the bottom of it and ask your opinions.
i'm tired of listening to the think they know it all and don't type
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 12:22 PM
I find no truth in those statements, my girl is still pooing and peeing everywhere :lol :
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Treat them as individuals, I too was told you will find a bitch so much easier to train. errrrrrrrm nah.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Well we have had both dogs and bitches and I didn't find any of them any harder to train than the other sex - so no I don't think there is any truth in it. The only problem with dogs is they can be inclined to scent mark by cocking their legs - but not always.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I found my male much easier to train than my bitch to be honest, I don't really think the sex has much to do with it I think it depends more on the individual personality of the dog. Every dog is different regardless of sex. Don't take any notice.
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I agree you have to treat them all as individuals, I've had dogs and bitches and haven't found either easier or harder to train.
Given a choice if all other things are equal I would probably say I preferred dogs, not sure why exactly, just something about a good dog. Leg cocking doesn't bother me at all, those lamp-posts need putting in their place anyway
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Both mine were the same when it came to training however the male would listen to me and the female listened more to OH
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 07:07 PM
cant say ive found dogs any harder to train than bitches. its all down to each dogs personality. although i would be inclined to say some breeds tend to be easier to train than others, but again depends on the personality
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2006, 07:10 PM
i personaly dont think it makes a difference male or female ( dogs i mean ) i have seen on the training grounds the females are a bit softer they seem to think a bit more the male will just have it
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 07:16 PM
The only difference in it I think are, you can tell a dog what to do, and he'll do it no questions asked,whereas with a bitch, you have to ask and nicely before she might do it!! My husband says "typical female". That's my experience anyway, same with horses I find.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >