View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2007, 12:08 PM

My horse's Xmas prezzie: a 6 month holiday!

Since my OH was turned down for his job, I've been a bit panicky over what to do. We owe so much money and I'm finding life really very hard to cope with, especially now that I'm on holiday and not doing enough to occupy my mind.
I've spent the last few weeks avoiding seeing my horse where possible. I love him dearly, and he has been incredibly therapy, both physically and emotionally, but since deciding to put him out on loan, seeing him has been getting me so upset. My long-suffering OH has had to do both mornings and evenings for me.

After a panic attack yesterday, I decided to sell him as I could use the money to pay off some debts, and realised that by avoiding seeing him, I was trying to "detach" from him so that it wouldn't hurt so badly when he went. However, I ended up at the yard last night, and he was so pleased to see me and gave me a big wuffly kiss. So I decided that there is still a bit of fight left in me, and he is being turned away at grass until we're sorted out.
The livery itself will cost almost half what I am currently paying, as he will just be out at grass 24/7. I'll also be saving £40 a month, as the other four horses (the land-owners) don't have hay unless it snows and they cannot get at the grass. So all I will be paying is for the grazing, his feed (which will be reduced as he won't be working), and his routine things such as farriery and insurance. I can probably cut my insurance policy back as well, since he will not be ridden.

My OH and I are off this afternoon to have a look at the field and meet the land-owner, and sort out the particulars, and then I need to go and visit my current yard owner and let her know about my situation. We are planning to return there, if there's room for us, once we're out of our financial hole, as it's such a brilliant yard. I'm mostly worried about clearing out my tack-room... I've got so much equipment that I'm going to have to find space in my house for!

So for Christmas, my horse is getting a long holiday, turned away with two mares and a couple of foals. He will probably not want to come back to work again!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2007, 12:17 PM
You sound so positive now that a decision and a solution has been found....I hope you all have a very merry christmas.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Glad you have managed to hold onto him and you can go and get lots of snuzzles and cuddles at his holiday home!!

A Merry Christmas to you all and hope 2008 and brings you lots of luck and happiness.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-12-2007, 12:43 PM
The field looks great. There will be six of them over sixteen acres. There's somewhere for me to store a rug chest and feed bins, and the lady who owns the land and four of the other horses was really nice. So we're off this weekend!