Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2004, 10:54 AM

The behaviourist has been

For those of you that dont know Baileys history, I have copied my reply to whizzgirl about her AB behaviour here

Originally Posted by dreamon

Thankfully my children arnt small, they are 12 and 14 but nethertheless they are my babies and my priority!

Bailey has always been a very nervous dog, he is confident and happy at home but is very wary of both people and dogs outside, he is the most loving little cocker so giving with his cuddles and always up for a kiss but he is also sometimes quite grumpy. Just lately this grumpiness has turned to aggression, I'm finding this very hard to write as I have been so upset about it, but a couple of weeks ago for no apparent reason at all he lunged at my son and bit his hand, we are since beginning to realize that Bailey is very possessive over certain things, one of them being me! we have thankfully had no further attacks but he has growled at the children in a threatning way! My children are most definately my priority and I knew immediately that Bailey needed help to keep my children safe.

He is very aware of his actions as when told NO! he responds immediately so I have ruled out any form of rage and have spoken to someone involved in cocker rage too, they have been very helpful and supportive to me

Tomorrow I will be having a behaviourist from Telington Touch come to see Bailey, I have heard so many fantastic things about their work and I'm really hoping this will help him. she will be here at 10 in the morning so I'll let you all know how he gets on.

Well the behaviourist has just gone and went well I think.

She was trying to get to know Bailey and got a bit too close for Bailey's liking and he went for her!!!!!!! This is a first for Bailey as although he is wary of strangers he has never gone for them In a way though I was glad that Caroline saw this, as this is what happened with my son.

She noted that Bailey was indeed very nervous and that he felt safe around me and thats what he wants to protect - the security he feels when he is with me.

I have been given some massage tips to do on Bailey, 20 mins a night and then he has a body wrap that he is to wear for a further 20 mins, this is to act as a sort of hug after his treatment, and she will be coming again in two weeks to start some ground work with Bailey, apparently this is work to stimulate both sides of the brain.

I'm feeling positive about his treatment and hopefully will start to see some results soon.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi Dreamon,

Firstly I am glad you feel you are getting somewhere and have done the right thing contacting a trainer. His behaviour towards the trainer and your children is completley unacceptable. If that was a stranger he attacked the consequences for the dog could have been much much worse i.e. euthanasia. Fear/nervous aggression is the worst type of aggression possible.

I hope you get the results you want and its nice you are not giving up on the dog, however, how many chances will he get? I dont mean for that to sound rude but if this is not the first occasion my dog had bitten somebody I am afraid I would be seriously thinking about his future.

I sincerely hope you start getting results soon, good luck with the rest of the training keep us updated.

Laura
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2004, 11:16 AM
That's goodnews Maria. I hope, with the help of the trainer, you can put an end to this behaviour.

Good luck to you all!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Good luck to you all Maria.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Oh good luck from me too

Jeanette
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Good luck with Bailey!
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Good luck
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm glad you're getting help, good luck with it.
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Laura ISBT
Hi Dreamon,

If that was a stranger he attacked the consequences for the dog could have been much much worse i.e. euthanasia. Fear/nervous aggression is the worst type of aggression possible.

I hope you get the results you want and its nice you are not giving up on the dog, however, how many chances will he get? I dont mean for that to sound rude but if this is not the first occasion my dog had bitten somebody I am afraid I would be seriously thinking about his future.

Laura
Hi Laura ,

You dont sound rude at all

Knowing Bailey is a nervous dog, I woud never and have never put him in a position with strangers whereby he felt the need to attack, I consider Bailey to have had only one unprovocked attack on my son and as I now know where Baileys problem lies I will do all I can to help him.

He went for the behaviourist because she took hold of his collar to show me how to use the massage techniques, the trainer herself admitted that it was a silly move on her part and should never had held him in such a way, Bailey would otherwise never be put in such a position. If however he attacked lets say on a walk without provacation then yes I would have to seriously consider his future, that goes without saying but he minds his own buissness when walking, and will keep away from strangers rather than approach them and right now I am hoping for the positive results I have heard so much about from TTouch

I'll let you know how we get on, and hopefully all will turn out for the best.

Thankyou all so much for your concern
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Good luck with it Maria -Bailey is still very young and impressionable , so hopefully you've nipped it quick enough
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >