Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2009, 09:09 AM

Living with a Flock Guardian?

Hi, as some of you know I live in Bulgaria where there are alot of street dogs and I help the sick and injured ones and rehome where needed.

Ordinarily I do not take in healthy animals as there are too many that need help, however 2 months ago I found myself taking in an adult Karakachan which is a fairly serious flock guardian here.

Basically he started passing our house regularly and he was rather skinny so I gave him some food now and again and then he decided he quite liked our house so started to live under our van in the street which was fine. Alas then, he started to see our house as needing protecting and started to bark at passer-bys so for his own safety (they poison dogs here) I took him in.

His temperament is very friendly to his new family and he is the soppiest most playful dog ever. However, he also has strong guarding tendencies as if someone he doesn't know wants to come in the gate he changes into alert mode instantly. Thankfully he doesn't attack indiscriminately, he waits for us to come see while he "holds off" the intruder, which is all fine.

Anyway, my question. This is the most intense dog I have ever owned and whilst he seems very manageable so far I am still wary of his responses outside of the home as I don't yet know all of his triggers.

So can anyone give me any advice on living with a serious flock guardian? We plan to move soon and will be having a small holding so I hope to be able to utilize his sheep protecting traits then so I'm not seeking to retrain his breed characteristics, just manage them really in our current normal house set up. He strikes me as a very stable, well grounded dog although at the moment is still very much in "think for himself" mode!

Also, on the subject of breed characteristics - is it possible to retrain them if required? For example, a husky not to run or a greyhound not to chase, or in this instance, a guardian not to guard?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
Hi, as some of you know I live in Bulgaria where there are alot of street dogs and I help the sick and injured ones and rehome where needed.

Ordinarily I do not take in healthy animals as there are too many that need help, however 2 months ago I found myself taking in an adult Karakachan which is a fairly serious flock guardian here.

Basically he started passing our house regularly and he was rather skinny so I gave him some food now and again and then he decided he quite liked our house so started to live under our van in the street which was fine. Alas then, he started to see our house as needing protecting and started to bark at passer-bys so for his own safety (they poison dogs here) I took him in.

His temperament is very friendly to his new family and he is the soppiest most playful dog ever. However, he also has strong guarding tendencies as if someone he doesn't know wants to come in the gate he changes into alert mode instantly. Thankfully he doesn't attack indiscriminately, he waits for us to come see while he "holds off" the intruder, which is all fine.

Anyway, my question. This is the most intense dog I have ever owned and whilst he seems very manageable so far I am still wary of his responses outside of the home as I don't yet know all of his triggers.

So can anyone give me any advice on living with a serious flock guardian? We plan to move soon and will be having a small holding so I hope to be able to utilize his sheep protecting traits then so I'm not seeking to retrain his breed characteristics, just manage them really in our current normal house set up. He strikes me as a very stable, well grounded dog although at the moment is still very much in "think for himself" mode!

Also, on the subject of breed characteristics - is it possible to retrain them if required? For example, a husky not to run or a greyhound not to chase, or in this instance, a guardian not to guard?
Given the characteristics of the breed, I am not sure anyone here would have the knowlagde to help with such a strong primitive breeds traits.

Especially as in your other posts, you say you allow him to display these traits, for protection.

But will wait with interest to see .
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Yes, that's just it - I want him to be able to differentiate between an intruder that's coming over the wall in the night and the friendly visitor and I'm not quite sure how to communicate that to him!! lol

At the moment he seems absolutely fine with his boundaries, although with such a dog and so new to us I'm interested in others experiences.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Yes, that's just it - I want him to be able to differentiate between an intruder that's coming over the wall in the night and the friendly visitor and I'm not quite sure how to communicate that to him!! lol

At the moment he seems absolutely fine with his boundaries, although with such a dog and so new to us I'm interested in others experiences.
But you wont get any experiences of ownership of this breed on here... as they are not a breed we see in the UK...

I would google the breed and ask those who know them , they will be able to give you any advice you need.

The trouble is, we do have many guarding breeds here in the UK, but none as primitive as these, mos that are here (even the rare ones) have been bred to lessen the natural instinct to attack anyone they dont know.

Although, we have some very good knowledgeable people here, who have dealt with aggressive/guarding dogs , they will in all probability not had experience with such primitive instincts..

And unless you turn him away completely from his job in hand, I dont know who you can get him to switch on and off when you want.

So best to talk to those who own and use the breed for whats its bred for.

Best of luck!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi, what an interesting post! I echo everyone else in that I doubt anyone will have experience of such a breed, however, I'd suggest getting in touch with Professor and Lorna Coppinger via here http://www.coape.org/tutors.html
or at least I hope you can contact them via that site, if not perhaps a google?

They have great understanding of livestock dogs generally, and have set up a Livestock Dog Project at one stage, so may be able to give some advice. Also, I'd suggest contacting Sarah Fisher who does TTouch (again a google may find her contact details) as she took on a Maremma from someone who could not control it too well (or was not a suitable home, not sure which) and also I believe, took on another one. She is also a trainer and behaviourist with livestock dog experience more on the pet dog side, and so would be a good person to talk to. She's very approachable and helpful

I gather it's really at the home there may be a problem as out of the home when moving the flock via villages etc, the dogs are apparently fine with people...

Do let us know how it goes!

Wys
x
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 11:44 AM
I own flock guardians, but they are just babies. Rio has a great guarding instinct however and refused to let an accountant in the house a few weeks ago, until I came down and told her it was OK. (He was with the OH, but as far as she is concerned I am the boss!) She still stared at him the whole time and grumbled a bit. I know of Estrelas that have attacked intruders that have entered their house through windows etc. and of Estrelas that have bitten children for roughhousing with their children, so that's something to consider.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
She still stared at him the whole time
LOL that's what I get!! That's the bit where not knowing him well enough is still making me wary.

he's huge (75cm to nape) and having a big shaggy dog stare at you unnerves people somewhat!!

Many thanks Wys. I'm not a huge fan of Coppinger although certainly Sarah Fisher sounds promising. People tell me that the Maremma and the Karakachan have a few traits in common so that's a good start!

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I gather it's really at the home there may be a problem as out of the home when moving the flock via villages etc, the dogs are apparently fine with people...
Absolutely - I can offlead walk him anywhere and everywhere and he's perfect, just gives everyone a cursory glance, kinda clocking who they are, what they're up to etc lol
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
My two Cane Corso's have a strong guarding instinct around our home. They are very happy to welcome people inside our house if me or my partner invite them in. However if we just stand at the door talking to whoever called they go into full on alert/guard mode until I tell them to shut up. I don't bother to when I want to get rid of the cold call sellers!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
LOL that's what I get!! That's the bit where not knowing him well enough is still making me wary.

he's huge (75cm to nape) and having a big shaggy dog stare at you unnerves people somewhat!!

maybe when you get to know him a bit better you will feel more at ease. I must admit I was a bit nervous when Rio did that as it was the first time she had really shown her guarding instincts. Sounds like he's a pretty sensible chap though.
Many thanks Wys. I'm not a huge fan of Coppinger although certainly Sarah Fisher sounds promising. People tell me that the Maremma and the Karakachan have a few traits in common so that's a good start!

Absolutely - I can offlead walk him anywhere and everywhere and he's perfect, just gives everyone a cursory glance, kinda clocking who they are, what they're up to etc lol

Yep I can walk Rio offlead almost anywhere but when I have the kids with me I am very careful as she watches Hannah my daughter like a hawk.

Originally Posted by bingowings View Post
My two Cane Corso's have a strong guarding instinct around our home. They are very happy to welcome people inside our house if me or my partner invite them in. However if we just stand at the door talking to whoever called they go into full on alert/guard mode until I tell them to shut up. I don't bother to when I want to get rid of the cold call sellers!
Guarding breeds are great for getting rid of unwanted 'guests' lol! If it's a salesperson I pretend I'm holding her back and keep saying 'steady Rio it's OK' and they soon disappear!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
btw Ziva it would be really interesting to see a pic of him.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >