Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
naomicavaliers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2007, 09:14 PM

does anyone know anything about cushings disease

My nearly 13 yr old cavalier has just had tests for cushings disease, the vet did not explain alot about it so anyting about it would be a very big help.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

Clipper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi and sorry to hear about your little one. I found this site very helpful when my last dog Aysha was diagnosed with the same problem.
The meds now are a lot easier on the dog than they used to be and much more effective too. So take heart, follow your vets advice, don't stint on the blood tests and good luck. Give the wee one a hug from me.
Clipper & the furry gang.

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dcushing.html
naomicavaliers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2007, 09:39 PM
thanks for those sites, reading these has given me a better idea of what I am maybe going to have to deal with.
lucy is my first cavalier and holds a special place in my heart and I am so worried about her. She already has a severe heart murmur so I know it will be extra hard for her to fight this as well.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2007, 06:52 AM
I had a dobie with Cushings many years ago, I am no expert on it as sadly my girl also had a massive cancer so she wasn't to get better. But I do know that it is treatable and reversable although not curable. On the right treatment, which will be for life, your lovely girl should be able to live a perfectly normal life.
I wish you both all the best.
Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2007, 08:17 AM
We had a pony with cushings and she lived with it perfectly well for many years. I think that it effects ponies more as they shed their winter coat etc she used to be really hairly all year round poor thing!! Hope your little one is ok?!?
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Thinking of you, keep us updated.

D xxxx
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Sorry for the slightly late reply, I only just caught this thread.

Also referred to as Hyperadrenocorticism, Cushings disease, once diagnosed can normally be easily controlled with a course of medication containing the active drug Trilostane.

I could sit here for hours typing out bits and pieces for you but I have found this site extremely helpful!

http://www.canine-cushings.co.uk/index.htm

Hope your little one is ok xxxxx
naomicavaliers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks to everyone, I get the results back on wednesday.
At least now I know it is treatable and something that she will be able to live with.
naomicavaliers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2007, 11:53 PM
The tests for cushings came back negative, so Lucy has been in for more tests. She can not process urine at all now and so is drinking excessively. So far they think it may be a hormoan inbalance. she is back in the morning at the vets to see what they can do for her. I will be glad when they know what is wrong with her for sure.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >