View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 05:48 PM
When I got my first dog my first port of call was the KC. I learned there that there were no health problems associated with the breed I was interested in and no requirements for any health screening. The breeder was experienced and well respected. That was good enough for me.
Hm interesting Beagles have HD & MRD so were the parents of your dogs tested ??? If not why did you buy the puppies ?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I'm curious as to why my statement about my personal lack of interest in showing should lead to a question about whether I think those that are interested in showing are bad owners.

I wouldn't label any group of people as bad owners. Each to their own. It's a big world and there is room for all tastes.
As the KC and show breeders are under the same umbrella, I assume with your negative attitude towards both, it was self explanatory

I didn't say I wouldn't buy a KC registered dog. My point was that I no longer see association with the KC as being any guarantee or even any suggestion of quality.
I dont understand why you would even consider buying a kC registered pup , if that is how you feel.

I gather from listening to discussions that a lot of people feel the same way as me. If enough of us feel this way then it won't be long before someone fills the void and provides what pet owners want - a governming body that will only endorse breeds and breeders that have a track record of producing healthy pups with great temperaments.

I think that void has already been filled with what is called BYB`s..... there are plenty of poor quality unregistered dogs being bred by and for people who dont want to go down the route of buying responsibly.

Luckily, by listening to people , there are still far more people willing to listen and learn where and from whom to buy a well bred healthy pup.

When I got my first dog my first port of call was the KC. I learned there that there were no health problems associated with the breed I was interested in and no requirements for any health screening. The breeder was experienced and well respected. That was good enough for me.
Would that be Beagles you are talking about... since when do they not suffer with any health problems...

Did your breeder do any of the required tests on their dogs.

It worked out just fine. But I now know (thanks to recent publicity) that I got lucky by picking a healthy breed and a good breeder! If I were to buy a dog again (another breed) I'd do a lot more research and wouldn't place any value on KC membership or show ring success.
That's your choice!!!

I didn't suggest otherwise. As I've said, I got two great dogs from two great breeders so if it weren't for the recent TV program and the action by groups like the BBC I would be a firm believe in the notion that KC membership guarantees great quality pets!
I dont think the KC, breeders or any one can guarantee anyone 100% a healthy dog.. they can only do their best in breeding from health tested stock, quality yes, thats what good breeders do...

I chose the Beagle because I like everything about the beagle. But not specifically the 'Show Beagle'. There is a big difference between show and working varieties of many breeds. Some of the things that show breeders value in a dog are very different from what I value. In actual fact, my first dog is considered a bit of a reject by the show world. Yet we're frequently asked by passers by where we got her as many people prefer her build to that of the typical Beagle. And in actual fact she is built EXACTLY like her ancestor from the late 50's - her build was in fact the norm in this particular line before people started breeding for the show ring.
Of Cause there is, as in all working type breeds.. there will be show and working type..

As for hounds, I know of some hunt kennels who are allowing their studs to be used on show dogs... their is a very successful show kennel of foxhounds, who has used one of the top stud hunting hounds on her bitches..

Obviously they seem to admire traits in both strains..

I believe that those that show have every right to improve the breed in any way they see fit. As do those that want to improve the breed for working, sport or simply as pets. I know a lot of breeders of working dogs (e.g. pack hounds) are very much against breeding for the show ring. They believe that dogs should be bred to work - not prance around a ring. But I don't see it this way. There isn't enough work for dogs nowadays. Their role has changed. It follows that breed standards should change accordingly. But I don't think those that breed dogs for the show ring have a monopoly on the breed.

That's a little contradictory is`nt it..in one sentence you say they should be bred to work, then follow on to say there is not enough work for dogs...

The show ring does not have a monopoly on breeding... as you say there are many factors for breeding..working hounds/gundogs and the list goes on.

As for mos tpeopel who buy pets..they want their dogs to look like th ebred they are buying... and till the day that ends.. the show world will have a part to play, after all , they ar ethe ones who know the breds what they should and should not look like...
Stevel
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Yes Jackie but you must remember that people who don't show are probably only aware of Crufts as it was the only one televised thus reaching the non showing people.

They don't know about the all the other champ shows that are held throughout the year all over the country who like LKA are run without the BBC or sonsorship from the major companies , like you say, and they probably don't even realise the amount of trade stands at Crufts a lot of which are not doggy orientated, and the revenue the KC gains from therm.
And a lot are aware of the Ladies Kennel association show. And many have been to Crufts and realise, Oh golly gosh there are trade stands .

Please don't try to be so condescending and think you are the elite and you are the only people privy to what goes on in the dog world. YOU AREN'T!!!

And you are not the only ones with views that deserve to be aired. And learn to spell

Steve
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
Hm interesting Beagles have HD & MRD so were the parents of your dogs tested ??? If not why did you buy the puppies ?
The Kennel Club advised that no health tests were required for the Beagle breed as they have no health issues.

Since being a beagle owner I have come into regular contact with lots of beagle owners, lots of beagle showers and lots of beagle breeders. The general consensus is that the Beagle breed is healthy. I have heard of just a single case of hip dysplasia (the dog in question is fully mobile and not in any apparant pain) and a problem with epilepsy (two dogs destroyed at a young age and two requiring medication) with a single breeder.

So one of two things is possible :

1. The Kennel Club were right about the Beagle breed being healthy. In this particular case no harm came about from trusting what the KC told me.
2. It's a conspiracy. Both the Kennel Club and breeders are lying and covering up the true health status of the breed.

I suspect the former but if the latter is true then all the more reason for bodies such as the BBC to make a stand and force the truth out into the open.

Originally Posted by Jackbox
As the KC and show breeders are under the same umbrella, I assume with your negative attitude towards both
In that sentence you have highlighted quite nicely why I think it's so important for the Kennel Club to disassociate themselves from breeds with serious health problems and from breeders with questionable breeding practices. And why I think that if they fail to do so that large organisations such as the BBC, Dogs Trust etc should disassociate themselves from Crufts.

I personally have very good experiences with show breeders so I know there are good ones. I don't assume that all show breeders are bad. People that haven't had my good experiences with show breeders are highly likely to react in the way that you incorrectly assumed that I would.

I don't understand why you would even consider buying a kC registered pup , if that is how you feel.
We only bought our second pup a few weeks ago - AFTER the BBC documentary aired, and AFTER lots of large groups started to pull out of Crufts. At the time of buying him I know that KC registration meant nothing of value to me. I knew that there were plenty of KC registered dogs suffering from serious health problems brought about by poor breeding practices. I chose my second pup based upon my own research. The fact that he is KC registered was simply not relevant to me.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you missread this next bit

Originally Posted by scarter
If enough of us feel this way then it won't be long before someone fills the void and provides what pet owners want - a governing body that will only endorse breeds and breeders that have a track record of producing healthy pups with great temperaments.
To which you responded....

I think that void has already been filled with what is called BYB`s
Surely you are not suggesting that Back Yard Breeders endorse only breeders that have a track record of producing healthy pups with great temperaments!!!!???!!

Would that be Beagles you are talking about... since when do they not suffer with any health problems...

Did your breeder do any of the required tests on their dogs.
As I said, the KC say there are NO required tests for Beagles.

Again, I think you've missread what I said here...

I know a lot of breeders of working dogs (e.g. pack hounds) are very much against breeding for the show ring. They believe that dogs should be bred to work - not prance around a ring. But I don't see it this way. There isn't enough work for dogs nowadays.
to which you responded...

That's a little contradictory is`nt it..in one sentence you say they should be bred to work, then follow on to say there is not enough work for dogs...
If you read again you'll see that I said that a lot of breeders of working dogs are very much against breeding for the show ring. I disagree with them. There is no contradiction. Just a difference in opinion - I think it's fine to breed dogs for lots of different roles in our society.

As for mos tpeopel who buy pets..they want their dogs to look like th ebred they are buying... and till the day that ends.. the show world will have a part to play, after all , they ar ethe ones who know the breds what they should and should not look like...
You are forgetting that very many pets are show ring rejects. Mine wouldn't win shows but to me they are just wonderful. As for whether the show people know best about how the breed should look - well I think in the case of Beagles you'll find quite a bit of dissagreement between show breeders and pack hound breeders!! Mine looks like a cross between a pack and show hound - in my opinion the best of both worlds . If it were possible to make my dogs even better for me then it wouldn't be by making them look more like show champions or by making them look more like pack hounds. It would be by ensuring that they had the best possible health and that they would live long, healthy lives without running up big vet bills. I have a friend who breeds beagles but doesn't show them. Her only consideration is in producing good, healthy pets. Some of her dogs are very highly regarded by show breeders. She still produces great looking dogs, but she'd rather have dogs with exceptional good health than dogs that had good enough health and great show careers. This friend of mine contacted the KC about their responsible breeder scheme (can't remember the name of it). She wanted to know what health tests she should have done for her dogs to qualify. She was told that there were no health tests for beagles as there were no health issues with beagles.

I understand that the KC don't want to alienate large numbers of breeders and breeds. But by associating themselves with the bad ones they render themselves useless to many prospective dog owners and to breeders that are looking to become members of a group that stands for exceptional health and superb breeding practices. By choosing to associate with the 'bad breeds and breeders' they harm their reputation terribly. And I think that will hit them harder in the long run than the loss of revenue from the BBC.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Stevel View Post
And a lot are aware of the Ladies Kennel association show. And many have been to Crufts and realise, Oh golly gosh there are trade stands .

Please don't try to be so condescending and think you are the elite and you are the only people privy to what goes on in the dog world. YOU AREN'T!!!

And you are not the only ones with views that deserve to be aired. And learn to spell

Steve
Steve dont be so rude, Eunice is one of the nicest people on the forum, missing a letter out is hardly an excuse for you to be so nasty!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Stevel View Post

Please don't try to be so condescending and think you are the elite and you are the only people privy to what goes on in the dog world. YOU AREN'T!!!And you are not the only ones with views that deserve to be aired. And learn to spell

Steve
Where did I say I was the elite and I was not trying to be condescending only stating what I think and just like you I am entitled to an opinion.

YOU Should perhaps learn not to take things so personally and not be so insulting.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Steve dont be so rude, Eunice is one of the nicest people on the forum, missing a letter out is hardly an excuse for you to be so nasty!
Dito.. well said
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn

Dito.. well said
Exactly , how rude, it is considered extremely bad mannered to point out such things... and one missing letter is hardly a case for your remark.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:54 PM
We only bought our second pup a few weeks ago - AFTER the BBC documentary aired, and AFTER lots of large groups started to pull out of Crufts. At the time of buying him I know that KC registration meant nothing of value to me. I knew that there were plenty of KC registered dogs suffering from serious health problems brought about by poor breeding practices. I chose my second pup based upon my own research. The fact that he is KC registered was simply not relevant to me
Ill repeat what Joedee said as you seemed to have missed it. Were the parents of both of your Beagles tested for hip dysplasia and MRD?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-12-2008, 09:25 PM
The Kennel Club advised that no health tests were required for the Beagle breed as they have no health issues.
Did you not think to look to the breed club for health issues in the breed...as they are there for all to see.

You are forgetting that very many pets are show ring rejects. Mine wouldn't win shows but to me they are just wonderful. As for whether the show people know best about how the breed should look - well I think in the case of Beagles you'll find quite a bit of dissagreement between show breeders and pack hound breeders!! to

Out of every litter of pups, a small minority will go to show homes, the breeder keeping the pick of litter, and maybe the stud dog owner keeping the second... the rest will go to pet homes..... rejects!!! is a strong word and as far as I know most breeders would not consider them to be so...

I know friends of mine who breed, would be highly insulted if you called her pups rejects!!!!!!!

[
B]well I think in the case of Beagles you'll find quite a bit of dissagreement between show breeders and pack hound breeders[/B]!! to
This will not be unique to Beagles...all breeds who have a split work/show type will have the same opinion.

One is not better than the other..both have there purpose...and enthusiasts will probably never agree on conformation...but as long as both health test their stock, is matters not.

Horses for Causes... as they say!!!
Page 8 of 17 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »