View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Yes if there are no hip scores or test results, it means that none were done.

Good luck on your first day in your new job.
Dawn.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Can I just say your pup is lovely and whilst you know better for the next pup,unless you intending to breed from him I wouldnt worry I'd just enjoy him.
There are a few dogs in welshies who are sound but have massive hip scores, who enjoy very active lives but just arent bred from
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Scarter

Are your Beagles bred by a "pet"breeder ?

Did you check that their parents were hip scored & eye tested(for MRD) ?

If they weren't health tested why did you not look for another breeder who does ?

Were you not aware that Beagles have these health conditions ?
With 41 dogs scored and a mean score of 22 (range 10-71) I wouldn't touch a beagle thats parents hadn't been scored!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Can I just say your pup is lovely and whilst you know better for the next pup,unless you intending to breed from him I wouldnt worry I'd just enjoy him.
There are a few dogs in welshies who are sound but have massive hip scores, who enjoy very active lives but just arent bred from
i agree stop beating yourself up, its not guaranteed that Woody will develope any health problems, just like its not guaranteed if the parents were health tested that he wouldn't, There are no guarantees with any of it!!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the support. I understand that there are no guarantees and am not worrying (not a lot I can do after all), I'm more cross with myself for not doing my homework properly. I prided myself on getting everything right with him and hate to think I may have contributed towards this ongoing horrible issue of breeders breeding without clearing these tests. I wish it was made mandatory for all breeders to have these tests done for each parent when required. Would surely help reduce the ailments in the future.
Anyway, I feel alot better about it all now I've slept (or tried to ;o) on it. I made a mistake and it certainly wont happen again. In fact I've decided to do some more research into it and see if there is anything I cann do to stop other people doing the same thing.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Thanks for the support. I understand that there are no guarantees and am not worrying (not a lot I can do after all), I'm more cross with myself for not doing my homework properly. I prided myself on getting everything right with him and hate to think I may have contributed towards this ongoing horrible issue of breeders breeding without clearing these tests. I wish it was made mandatory for all breeders to have these tests done for each parent when required. Would surely help reduce the ailments in the future. Anyway, I feel alot better about it all now I've slept (or tried to ;o) on it. I made a mistake and it certainly wont happen again. In fact I've decided to do some more research into it and see if there is anything I cann do to stop other people doing the same thing.

Sadly, your story wont stop others falling into the same trap.

But , by you putting your story here, and showing what you have learnt, may help at least one person no to make the same mistake.

I agree completey with the highlighted paragraph, it is really a very simple solution for the KC to implement... to make it manatory of all registered breeding stock to be health screened.

Yes the KC fall down in many areas,but it is still the best place for a buyer to look for a puppy..for the most part breeders who register will adhere to breed ethics..

Sadly, as it is now, and as you have found out, there is still a big hole in the system, ...by allowing the not so reputable breeder to slip through the net.

You can only educate those who are willing to listen to your story... and the most important thing , you will never make the same mistake again.

For instance , the lovely couple you had Woody from, if you and others had gone prepared with the information you have now..said couple may have found it harder to sell the pups, and that will probably be the only thing to stop these people breeding.

If they cant sell the pups, they will think twice about breeding again.

Woody is lovely , enjoy him, don t look for things that are no there, if they arise in the future , you will deal with it... but it may not.... so just enjoy him for what he is your pet.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
With 41 dogs scored and a mean score of 22 (range 10-71) I wouldn't touch a beagle thats parents hadn't been scored!
GEEZO... the mean score is higher than that of the rottie... the mean score is 13 for rottweilers, a breed known to have problem, that said with years of screaning and good breeding, the risks of dogs having HD are far lower now if buy from a good breeder.

wow 22 for a beagle...

now people cant say hips are not a problem..surely..

IT would seem to me they could be a major problem just now and defo in the future if something is not done about it...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
GEEZO... the mean score is higher than that of the rottie... the mean score is 13 for rottweilers, a breed known to have problem, that said with years of screaning and good breeding, the risks of dogs having HD are far lower now if buy from a good breeder.

wow 22 for a beagle...

now people cant say hips are not a problem..surely..

IT would seem to me they could be a major problem just now and defo in the future if something is not done about it...
was coming on this morning to post that myself! Archer beat me to it!!!
I checked out the mean score in Dogs Today. It was indeed 22 but with fewer than 40 dogs scored. My breed has a mean score of 9 but yet no one that has researched it would dream of getting a non hip scored pup not would any breeder (decent) dream of not having the dogs hip scored. With a mean of 22 I would be very concerned and wonder why the breed isn't being told to hip score and why the breeders of said breed aren't doing it as a matter of course....
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
was coming on this morning to post that myself! Archer beat me to it!!!
I checked out the mean score in Dogs Today. It was indeed 22 but with fewer than 40 dogs scored. My breed has a mean score of 9 but yet no one that has researched it would dream of getting a non hip scored pup not would any breeder (decent) dream of not having the dogs hip scored. With a mean of 22 I would be very concerned and wonder why the breed isn't being told to hip score and why the breeders of said breed aren't doing it as a matter of course....
It is a very high mean score, most of the mastiff breeds fall well below it... im shocked, myself having spent £££££ on hip/elbow scoring my dogs who have a lower mean score than the beagle, I think its time beagle breeders put there money where there mouth is and score more dogs, at least that way they would have a good idea as to the problems with the breed, rather than saying there is no problem, action now could save a lot of heartbreak and problems within the breed in years to come,
just look at how successful it has been in rotties and other breeds.

Us rottie lovers aspire to having a mean score of under 10... even lower would be nice...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
It is a very high mean score, most of the mastiff breeds fall well below it... im shocked, myself having spent £££££ on hip/elbow scoring my dogs who have a lower mean score than the beagle, I think its time beagle breeders put there money where there mouth is and score more dogs, at least that way they would have a good idea as to the problems with the breed, rather than saying there is no problem, action now could save a lot of heartbreak and problems within the breed in years to come,
just look at how successful it has been in rotties and other breeds.
Exactly. My breed has a good mean hip score BECAUSE they have always been vigilant about it. Sometimes it isn't up to the kC to IMPOSE things, it is up to the people in the breed to look at things and start sorting it out surely?
It is things like this that make me feel Jemima's documentary wasn't all bad. If it improves things for the dogs, that is what is important.
Page 15 of 17 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 >