View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-01-2010, 07:54 PM
is all fish ok? Toby gets tuna as a treat occasionally and he has had little bits of haddock before. He was going nuts at the smell from the anchovies but wasn't sure if they were ok as they are more salty?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Selkie is intolerant of the oil, so I get Tuna in spring water.. I always feed tuna with their kibble if we are in polite company as the smell is less offensive than dog mush!

I would personally avoid anchovy as too much salt, or at least only as a very rare treat and only one or two.
lucy-h
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2010, 07:46 AM
is tuna in oil ok for dogs with sensitive tummys / ibd?
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Tuna are top predators. Watch the amount you give to avoid a build up of mercury in the bloodstream. I would stick more to oily fish (tinned tuna is not) like herring, pichards etc. Again, all tinned varieties have higher concentration of salt than fresh varieties.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Ive read about the high mercury content too as well as all tinned fishing having higher salt content. T gets tinned tuna in oil/springwater once a week max, with the oil drained off. But he will also have fresh fish like salmon if i have it

He did used to eat raw sardines but refuses them now!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by borderbob View Post
trying to feed bob - is tuna ok with rice?

Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Tuna and rice isn't a complete and balanced diet. Your would do better to feed a carefully formulated kibble and little else.
That's not what she asked, she asked if tuna was OK to feed, maybe like many of us borderbob , is just looking for a nice weekly treat to give her dog.

As others have said , yes its OK, but not in brine.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 11:55 AM
as a treat to use in brine is okay once in a while, more long term (adding to kibble) i would use in water or oil. Tuna and rice isnt going to give you dog what he needs on a long term basis thou
ATD x
pointyhound
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-04-2010, 05:42 PM
No, won't be good long term, but tuna in spring water and rice is good for a couple of days after a bad bum
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-04-2010, 06:19 PM
I have a pal who used to run a fish farm, and, as a result, Kali and Snorri used to feast occasionally on baked salmon, which they adored - every crumb would disappear! No unpleasant side-effects at all! They also loved tuna (as others have said) in oil. The oil helps to transport vitamins, etc., through the skin, thus deterring (e.g.) scurf, and generally being beneficial to the coat.

Snorri
mariasmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 10:54 AM
my dog has tuna once a week and i have never had any prolems
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2