View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kudupadraic
New Member!
Male 

13-03-2017, 10:13 PM

Is my dog choking or reverse sneezing or something else?

Makala is a dog from Burundi currently living in Uganda, somewhere upwards of 10 years of age. She does seem to have an allergy and a cough that is probably kennel cough. The allergy causes the bottom half of her fur to show dandruff-like white spots. Her nose also runs mildly.

Over recent months, with varying regularity and intensity, she's also been 'choking' in this manner - see this video:

My vet here isn't too sure what it is. My best guess is reverse sneezing but as it seems from videos online that every dog does it slightly differently, I can't be sure. A blood test through a local lab didn't reveal anything useful which led the vet to conclude she has an allergy. She also scratches her head and squeals quite regularly.

These various symptoms may be unconnected, but for now I'd certainly appreciate some suggestions for what her 'choking' (as seen in the video) could be, and possible remedies or suggestions for soothing her. Thank you so much!
akitababy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2017, 04:09 AM
Hi @kudupadraic my pet haven't experience reverse sneezing yet, but take a look at this content it is up to date and will help surely help you to understand about the said phenomena

http://www.dogingtonpost.com/reverse-sneezing-in-dogs/

There's also a natural way to cure it or atleast limit it. BTW always make sure that your dog surrounding is clean.
perriejinnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2017, 06:14 AM
I haven't experienced anything like that. It seems like your dog is suffering from some kind of allergy. That's the only thing that I could make out after watching this small clip.