View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NightsOwl
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2017, 11:10 PM

Bringing shy dog to crowded expo - bad idea?

Hello ^.^

We adopted a 8 month old Havapoo last month and don't think she was socialized much previously - she is very shy in new places and around people.

I took her to an indoor farmers market today and she was trembling - which might have partly been a shiver, its freezing today.

There's a pet expo next week that I would love to be able to take her too - she's the first dog we have had that hasn't been dog selective and could actually go to the expo.

Do you think it would be a bad idea or help desensitize her? I would be holding her most of the time so people won't be so huge to her & she won't have to fear being stepped on.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Depends how noisy it is. You could carry her and keep giving her treats when she seems calm. But not when she isn't. Can she sometimes go back in to your vehicle for some calming down/quiet time? Or is that not possible? Too much stress can make the problem worse. So a softly softly approach is used more these days.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2017, 12:07 PM
If you take her, try to keep to quiet areas and find a place where you can give her some time out to keep her adrenaline surges at a reasonable level.

Bear in mind that at 8 months she is likely to be in a fear period of her life so don't force things on her that will overpower her and keep everything as positive as possible.

Don't reinforce her fear by shouting at her or getting cross. She can't help her feelings and will overcome her fears better with everything kept upbeat and positive
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by NightsOwl View Post
Hello ^.^

We adopted a 8 month old Havapoo last month and don't think she was socialized much previously - she is very shy in new places and around people.

I took her to an indoor farmers market today and she was trembling - which might have partly been a shiver, its freezing today.

There's a pet expo next week that I would love to be able to take her too - she's the first dog we have had that hasn't been dog selective and could actually go to the expo.

Do you think it would be a bad idea or help desensitize her? I would be holding her most of the time so people won't be so huge to her & she won't have to fear being stepped on.
I think next week would be too soon if you have had her just a month.
NightsOwl
New Member!
Female 

10-03-2017, 03:32 PM
The expo is usually a bit noisy with the general hum of a lot of people. Which might be a bit less this year - its snowing today and going to be below freezing this weekend.

If a take her, I do plan on holding her the whole time - she's easy to step on. I wouldn't be able to give her treats - she doesn't accept them when she's uncomfortable.

I can go in & out of the expo - and to the car - at will but with the temps this year -_-

----------------------------------

I don't want to overwhelm her but I can't help but feel that after being in our arms while in the crowds for an hour plus that she'll relax. *_* bah, I'll probably be going back & forth between take & don't till I leave for the expo.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Try baking some small pieces of liver. That should keep her interested.