View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CassieKeith123
New Member!
Female 

03-03-2017, 03:13 PM

Where is best to leave my pup when I go out?

I've recently got a little pup to join my family, and I'm currently in the stage of training him. I’m off at home with him at the moment, but before I return to work, I’m putting all my energy into training him. The biggest obstacle I am facing is him chewing wires (which he seems to spot from a mile away, even if they are only in reach for a second.)

When I go back to work I'll only be leaving him in the house for maybe an hour at a time, but I'm worried about leaving the little guy.

My friend just sent me this video about what pets get up to when they’re left home alone. I didn’t even think of this. I’m worried I might of missed something obvious, about how best to leave him. In the kitchen or shall I let him go where he wants?
I just wanted to know…
• Do people experience of their pups who like to chew wires?
• Do people plug everything out the wall every time they leave their pups alone?
• How do you leave your dogs in the house?
Thanks!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-03-2017, 03:20 PM
I'd buy a crate and train him to use it. I'd put a cover over it to make it as den like as possible. Better to keep him out of harms way and a crate is the easiest way of doing that. If he's only being left for an hour make the crate as comfy as possible and he'll probably just sleep while you're out.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2017, 04:38 PM
For an hour or so at a time, I'd go for the crate option too. Safe for pup, peace of mind for you
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Definitely crate train.
stephy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2017, 06:59 PM
If you are gone for a long time, I would recommend using baby gates to block off anything you don't want your dog to have access to. If your dog is chewing wires, it could be an indication that he is bored or hungry. Make sure to leave a lot of toys out or maybe a kong. If you have a fenced off backyard, you can also consider getting a dog door. Here is a link that I used to help me pick a pet door if you are interested - https://www.petdoors.com/blog/choosi...door-concerns/
GillyVizzy
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2017, 01:58 PM
A crate might be the best option as it keeps him safe as well as protecting your house! Once he gets used to it, he will come to see it as "his" space and will probably use it of his own accord when he wants a bit of time to himself.
DogSent
New Member!
Female 

08-03-2017, 04:01 AM
Hi!
I've got the same problem before.
What I did is that I left my pup with his food for the entire day including water.
When I get back, he is still relentlessly.
Maybe you can try asking your relative to loof for him though.