Our sister sites
Our sister sites
acasron
New Member!
Female 

28-02-2017, 10:24 PM

Training regression

Hi everyone!!
So I am afraid one (or two) of my dogs is going backwards with their potty training. We have an 11 year old chocolate lab (Mattie), a 9 year old Bichon (Mimi) and a 4 year old multipoo (Lola).

we are having issues with the multipoo peeing and pooping in the house at night. We are pretty sure it's lola... but mimi could possibly be the culprit too. The spots are not nearly big enough that it's Mattie (she also has a bum knee and can't get to where the pee spots are). Again, we are pretty sure it's Lola.

The two little ones are in the crate all day long so we (used to) feel bad about putting them in there at night too. However, once this all started we tried creating them at night. They cry...all...night... long. We have implemented an extra walk before bed to clear them out... We have even tried leashing lola to the headboard (short enough so she can't get close to the edge) but she's a snuggeler so I'm afraid she'll strangle herself haha! So that's out too. We don't know what to do and feel like terrible pet owners. It's obviously at night so we've never caught her (them) in the act so there's not much discipline enforced... perhaps we need to just buck up and give it a few days for the crate to become easier for them (and us!)?

We will take any advice you have. We love our dogs and take pride in their behavior and the training we've done with them. At least we used to! This has gotten really bad so I have to assume we are doing something wrong with them but cannot pinpoint what as of yet. Please help!!!
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-02-2017, 11:28 PM
It could be that there is nothing wrong with the dog's behaviour but more likely the cause of of the wetting in the night is due to a UTI. If you're not sure which of the female dogs it is I'd suggest you take them both to the vet to have them checked for any infection.

Remember to take a urine sample from both of them for analysis which should be taken first thing in the morning of the vet visit.