Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenbutler
New Member!
Female 

08-02-2017, 06:16 PM

Advice needed?

Hello so I have a 4 year old greyhound he's a great dog and we haven't even had him a week yet.
He's very gentle but he's unsure about other dogs he will bark and pull to get to the other dog and then if they meet he doesn't like being sniffed and will pull away. What can I do to make him just walk past with out a fuss? And not pull so much? There doesn't seem to b a lot off aggression from him but it may well end in that should he get to nervous
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Just be assertive yet gentle - that means walking past briskly, keep your greyhound on the opposite side to the other dog. Walk forwards, head held high, with a verbal command such as "walk on ... good boy!" The lead must be relaxed but short enough for you to give a momentary tug should he falter - voice is very important here - I love walk on, I know it's horsey, but it works a treat with dogs! YOU must be confident, fear runs down the lead just as fear runs down the reins with horses!

He needs to see that you are OK with the situation - this will give him confidence and he should relax. It may take some time, but stick with it ... the worst thing you could is to make a fuss. Stay calm, do not allow him to be nervous and praise, praise, praise when he does it good!!
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-02-2017, 01:46 AM
maybe a distraction (squeeky ball) when he pulls may work, or a small bite dog biscuit?
Jenbutler
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2017, 06:49 AM
Ok thanks, I have been using the command "leave it" even if he spots a bird coz I was hoping to re train him that he doesn't need to chase now. Just hope he can b re programmed lol.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2017, 03:04 PM
If he is a retired greyhound keeping him on the left and your hand holding the lead up high will indicate to keep walking. To get him used to other dogs walk him on the right hand side with a very relaxed lead but not a very long one. Use a greyhound collar.