Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SarahM29
New Member!
Female 

31-01-2017, 02:53 AM

Fungal infection in ears

We took our Cocker Spaniel in to go fixed last week and asked them to check her ears because she was scratching and started licking her paws. The vet tech told us there was nothing and it was probably allergies. So we started her on Benadryl. Over the next few days she started smelling horribly and the itching got worse and she started shaking her head. I did some research and discovered it was most likely a yeast infection. We bought new dog food, started giving her some plain yogurt and purchased some Zymox topical spray for her paws. We also purchased the drops for her ears but have not received them yet and I didn't want to treat her without being told by the vet exactly what was going on. Today we took her back in for another ear check and he told us that it isn't a yeast infection but it is a fungal infection. I can't find on the internet where there is a difference between the two. Can dogs get different fungal infections besides yeast? He also prescribed Animax ointment for her ears and directed us to put it inside of the ears. I read that Animax is a topical ointment. I am not sure what to do now. I have some Zymox Otic 1% arriving in two days. I asked him about it and he said we could use it but he likes the Animax. I would like any input anyone can offer. Just want my girl better!
Gustavo Woltmann
New Member!
Male 

01-02-2017, 06:46 AM
I never heard about that before. Why don't you try to gently clean it using cleanser get a proper size of cotton ball and rub it gently in her ear canal and also massage her ear because it's so painful for her the cotton will be useful to consume all the infection from her ears and get a new one again and do the same thing until all the infection is gone and always check it every 4 hours.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Why not use the Animax as your vet advises? No point in paying him for a consultation and then not acting on what he advises.
DeeDoglover
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2017, 04:19 PM
There are so many types of fungal infection. We are dealing with one right now with our Max. Here is a link to the non yeast fungal infection that we are being tested for: [link removed] Also, on this site if you search under F, you will see articles on many different types of fungal infections. You can ask a vet a question here as well (no charge). I hope this helps!!
perriejinnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2017, 05:11 AM
There may be many types of ear infection your dog may suffer over the period of his life unless you give it a proper treatment. Precaution is better than cure so learn how to clean the dog's ear effectively on a weekly basis.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2017, 08:47 AM
You could also try putting her ears back so that air can get into the canal. Use a head scarf to do this or a snood. It might help a bit. Make sure that the air can get into the ears so the snood must fit only to hold the ears back not to cover the ear canal.