Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FallenAngel
New Member!
Female 

03-08-2010, 04:50 PM

7 month old puppy with weak back legs

Hi,

My 7 month old mixed breed puppy Daisy (akita x collie x lab) has suddenly started to display weakness in her rear legs. She struggles to get on her feet and when first up she limps but after a few seconds she walks fine, although she does sit down frequently. She very occassionally yelps but when examing her legs and hips she does not show any sign of pain although she does sometimes try to move her leg away from you but this does not happen every time I examine her legs.

She was one of a litter of 4 (2 dogs 2 bitches)1 of the dogs wasn't breathing when born and had a twisted leg but after phsyio (done by us without vet consultation) he is fine, the other male has assorted health problems including an uneven jaw and hearing and balance problems (he walks as if he is drunk), the other bitch does not have any health problems and we rehomed her. The parents of the pups are brother and sister (7yrs old) and until we moved house in Nov 2009 the male had not shown any interest in mating the female and this was her first and only litter as he has now been nuetered. Due to the inbreeding I am concerned about possible genetic problems being the cause, although I also wonder if when she has been playing with her brothers one of them has nipped her too hard and perhaps caused some slight nerve damage. All of our over dogs seem to know she has a problem as they do not pull at her back legs when playing and they all lick her back legs but not in any particular area.

Today was the first time she managed to jump up onto the bed in 6 days (which is when this started), she was also sitting less when outside first thing this morning but over the day she has regressed again to where she was before.

Wendy
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Has the dog seen a vet yet?
FallenAngel
New Member!
Female 

03-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Not yet she is booked in next week for her jabs.

As I suspect that she has some nerve damage and wanted to leave it for a few days or so to see if it improved on its own. But as it has now gone on for 6 days I intend to see if they can get her in earlier I just thought I would post her problem to see if anyone had any ideas.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I really think all the puppies need to see a vet asap, especially since 3 out of the 4 had congenital problems.
FallenAngel
New Member!
Female 

04-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I really think all the puppies need to see a vet asap, especially since 3 out of the 4 had congenital problems.
They are all booked in for next week for injections, microchipping and full health check.

Daisy seems a little more mobile this morning which makes me think she has either a sprain or some slight nerve damage from playing with the other dogs as they are always grabbing each others legs to pull each other over, at the moment she is trying to grab the sponge my other half is using to wipe down the walls.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Personally, I`d have the pup checked asap for hip problems.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Could also be cruciate damage. It needs checking ASAP
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post
Not yet she is booked in next week for her jabs.

As I suspect that she has some nerve damage and wanted to leave it for a few days or so to see if it improved on its own. But as it has now gone on for 6 days I intend to see if they can get her in earlier I just thought I would post her problem to see if anyone had any ideas.
Is it just me that finds this thread wrong!! You let the Bitch have this litter knowing it was brother/sister mating. The pup is 7months old and just now going to be vaccinated??
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
TBH this does not sit right with me at all.

I would get ALL these pups to the vet ASAP to get checked out. Also do the people who re-homed the one pup know that this was a brother/sister mating? As it may be something they would need to know.

I hope it will go well at the vet and that there is nothing too sinister wrong with the pup.