Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chicos-Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2010, 07:41 PM

Raw feeding- pigs' trotters

I'd just like to ask if it's ok to feed your dog Raw pigs trotters?

Recently I gave the dogs some trotters as a treat, and they really enjoyed them.

Having a discussion on another forum I belong to- it has been mentioned that you should never feed dogs pork as they cannot break down the enzymes, & pork carries a certain bacteria.

But I have read of many people feeding their dogs raw pigs trotters?

Anyone know what the rule is with these?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I've offered my dogs trotters in the past but they wouldn't eat them fussy pair I feed pork regularly in fact I have a nice reduced price pork shank in the freezer at the moment.

Don't think pork is the problem it once was
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Ours get the odd raw pigs ear, tail, trotter ect not to often though as there very fatty.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2010, 08:24 AM
I've only given trotters once but I do occassionally give pork ribs and have had no problems.
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2010, 08:30 AM
I was advised to freze for 48 hours and then thoughroughly defrost before feeding it
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Freezing the meat will get rid of any nasties. I've never heard of the enzyme theory tbh, and I don't buy it. I've fed my dogs raw pork with no problems. As DD says it is fatty so if your dog puts on weight easily keep it as an occassional treat. I don't have that problem with my skinny hounds!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
I get trotters free from the butchers so they make up part of my dogs diet, although they dont get them too often. I've always fed my dogs pork without any problems. Even the butcher advised me against it and i'd read they shouldnt eat it but pork is a fairly cheap meat and I always freeze it before feeding it to them, as I do with wild game.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Mine regularly get pigs trotters and love them.
Only bother I have is that they get a little windy after eating them, but that's prob just cos they don't get much in the way of pork otherwise.

I recall there being a problem in feeding non UK pork; but Uk stuff is fine. I can't remember what the problem was though since it didn't apply to me or mine.

Ask the person who told you about the problems to provide you with credible links to evidence. Most times they can't, it's just hearsay.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I get trotters free from the butchers so they make up part of my dogs diet, although they dont get them too often. I've always fed my dogs pork without any problems. Even the butcher advised me against it and i'd read they shouldnt eat it but pork is a fairly cheap meat and I always freeze it before feeding it to them, as I do with wild game.
we get ours free to lucky arent we

all our meat is freezed for over 24hours before use anyway
lesleyo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2010, 06:31 PM
There was a time when pork was not "clean" this is no longer the case, especially in the UK. Feeding raw pork to pets is fine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >