Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 12:18 PM

Free shaping ideas?

I need some ideas on free shaping exercises...

Takara's a bright dog and loves using her brain so absolutely loved the free shaping of closing drawers and doors but now she's proving impossible to tire out mentally...

Does anyone have any good ideas for free shaping so the dal-mutt can use her brain?

Lots of ideas welcome - it only took 3 minutes to teach 'close the door'
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Get her to stand in a hoop flat on the floor before getting a treat? Ringing a bell hung from a door handle?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks - good idea with the hoop!

Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Ringing a bell hung from a door handle?
Can you imagine teaching an attention seeking dog to ring a bell?
I can see it now - I wouldn't get a moment's peace!

(only kidding, I'll just make sure I take it down again after!)
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 12:41 PM
erm, a few mine and friends of mine know are:

Open door
close door
bring lead
bring bowl
bring named toy (e.g. bally, ropey, lol!)
ta for mummy, (i.e. give this to mummy/other family member).

Also another good one (which is a trick primarily used for sealion training), is getting a batton with a padded end (you could easily make one, just a stick with some padding strapped on the end with some electricians tape) and you teach the dog to 'touch' it with their nose. When they are good at it, everytime you bring it close to their face they will touch the padded end with their nose and keep the contact with the baton, so eventually when you move the baton they will also move so as to keep the contact, if you know what I mean? As if their nose is glued to the end of it. In the end you can have them following you all over the house and moving their head up and down and side to side e.t.c. It is good because it requires a lot of concentration from the dog and they use their whiskers whilst doing it apparently.

Never seen it done with a dog but I have spoke to an ex dog trainer who taught it to many dogs as a concentration technique and he now trains sealions in zoos (which I have seen doing it!). I am so wanting mine to learn this!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 12:44 PM
its called a target stick in clicker training
I agree its a good idea though.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Oh T does the target stick already but I use it more as a distraction from other things and used it in heelwork... I may well give it a go with getting her to follow it intently!

We're not very good at named toys - Takara doesn't listen very much, she watches me instead so I run out of hand signals... she will bring anything round if I say 'ball' and is currently trying to work out the difference between her tug rope and her rawhide

Not sure I want to encourage the opening of doors... we have had to get locks put on them and stick something in the way of the lounge door because she gets in when we're not there!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 12:47 PM
you can use the target stick for loads of behaviours - maybe put out four cups upside down on the floor and teach her to put her paw on the one she 'thinks' te treat is under
it'll impress friends and family
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Oh T does the target stick already but I use it more as a distraction from other things and used it in heelwork... I may well give it a go with getting her to follow it intently!

We're not very good at named toys - Takara doesn't listen very much, she watches me instead so I run out of hand signals... she will bring anything round if I say 'ball' and is currently trying to work out the difference between her tug rope and her rawhide

Not sure I want to encourage the opening of doors... we have had to get locks put on them and stick something in the way of the lounge door because she gets in when we're not there!
Actually this is true, I wish I had never taught open door!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
its called a target stick in clicker training
I agree its a good idea though.
The exact words I was looking for, thanx!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 01:00 PM
sorry random, I should also have mentioned I was chuckling, cos I always forget what its called - in fact I am amazed it came to mind then
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >