Our sister sites
Our sister sites
looby
Dogsey Junior

18-06-2004, 06:39 PM

Dogs and babies advice

Hello all :smt039

just wanting opinions.

sir is nearly one year old in a couple of weeks and I know it will be many many years before he slows down.

he has met kiddies before when younger but was very bouncy, which was to be expected.

With strangers in the house you would think he was on springs but within 10 minutes he has settled.

Enough waffle......we dont have kiddies (who knows what the future holds) but my sister whom is 10 months younger than me is due to have her first in september.

aunty has already gone daft buying loads of pressies.

i was looking forward to dudley meeting baby and having a sniff but not being a nuisance.

anyhow have just spoken to sister and they have decided not to bring baby round here until the child is considerably older. which is fair enough as it's their child, but i am a bit upset and didnt know what to say.

sister and brother in law think dudley is too bositerous, i think he is just a normal puppy, so the onus is now on us to do the visting minus dog.

i would never leave the child alone with a dog and i know dudley would be bouncy and create havoc but just feel upset at the comments.

we are very close and i would never upset her but was just interested of what those of you whom have dogs especially with young kiddies did?

will stop sniffing now :smt022
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

18-06-2004, 07:09 PM
why can't they just bring baby round in the car seat/carrier and let pup have a sniff and then put baby on a table or worksurface where pup can't get to? mollie was greeted by my old dally giving her a good sniff when she came home - and she's never been dogless in her life and she LOVES dogs.

they will soon realise they can't wrap baby in cotton wool for ever - just wait until they need a break
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Perhaps if you promise to put the dog on a leash and enforce proper manners around children they will come with the baby?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

18-06-2004, 08:45 PM
i guess they are just scared Looby, but as Babs and Chloe has said assure them that the baby will be ok as you will keep your dog under very strict control as you would put the baby at risk from anything (dont even let it lick the baby etc).
looby
Dogsey Junior

18-06-2004, 09:16 PM
thanks chloe, barbara and azz for your replies

i have had numerous conversations about them visiting with my sister, but she is not a doggy person and too be honest if he sneezed or snotted in the baby's directions he would be the devil dog

we didnt have pets as children and my dad unintentionally warned us too much about approaching dogs, whereas years of being nervy rounds dogs i have gone to the extreme and love them...........i stick my face up to dudley and kiss him and vice versa and there is no malice, i know you can never be 100% but as much as i can be i am sure with him.

she doesnt understand how i can kiss and cuddle him that we should have him outside in kennels and that whilst teething any damage must be boredom and not normal behaviour in a puppy.

the strange part is brother in law has grown up with dogs is good with dudley, plus his own brother has a boxer (older dog)

she first suggested if they visit the dogs is dumped in the garden which i said no this is his home...she has a friend whom has a gorgeous lab and is about 4 yrs old, they have a boy 10 months and drag the dog out by its legs out of the room if the child is there....i dont agree with this, why get a dog if you never want it to mix with kiddies.

sir knows his place, tries his luck but will never be allowed to behave as he wants, he is not allowed on the sofa and we have made sure he didnt bother my sister now bump is expanding.

as we dont have kiddies he is my baby and there isn't anything i woudnt do for him.....my dad is round every day and dotes on him (we both work, home over 2 hours during lunch times and work nearby) he is 66 this year and says dudley is no bother.

i know when baby is here they may change their minds but i am hurt.

if he was being a little sod i would put him in another room or put his lead on.

i suppose time will tell and i wont say anything to her or mention it to my dad.

had wine feel a little better, though when i was on the fone felt my voice go shaky.

families !!
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

18-06-2004, 09:46 PM
looby - do you have a crate? they can be a godsend for times like this. If Dudley feels happy in his crate then its an ideal time for them to bring baby round then neither of you lose out Phoebe loves hers and knows its "quiet time". She hates all visitors and will stand and growl, so she goes in her crate (admittedly she growls from there) but she gets ignored so the behaviour diminishes and the visitors can relax.

Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-06-2004, 02:22 AM
What a shame.

I tend to think that more problems are likely to arise when children are older and capable of pulling & poking than when they are babies.

I can only speak from my experience with Boxers & babies but I have found that the dogs are naturally curious and once they have been allowed to have a look at the new 'thing' they are happy to go and do more rewarding activities, eg sleep

Also, if allowed to look and sniff, they are very gentle. I can still see the look of amazement on my old girl's face when she was first introduced to a tiny baby
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2004, 02:25 AM
Looby, I have family that is the same way your is. Growing up, my dogs were all kenneled outside. My family turns up their nose whenever they come over and the dogs are on the couch, etc. It annoys me, but I have to laugh. To be honest, if they said they weren't coming unless I shut my dogs away, I'd tell them please don't burden us with your presence That's just me tho
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Barbara I'm the same ... if you don't like my dogs don't bother visiting us
Looby try not to worry too much as others have said your sister might relax more once baby is here.
Kirstie
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2004, 07:50 AM
Its strange but dogs seem to "know" when its a baby or a young one and dont act as boisterous anyway.
Cant explain it but I feel they do act calmer- obviously there needs to be supervision but I think babe will miss out on a lot by not introducing
Kids and dogs together - its great
I can understand your sis being wary and protective but give her time and she may come around
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >