View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2014, 03:13 PM

If you changed breeds what would you have?

Just a thought I was talking to a neighour this week who had his elderly Staff PTS in Feb, she had diabetes and was blind she was 15. I always have spoken to him and he told me he and his wife had been to Perry Barr greyhound rescue and were considering after their holiday a greyhound. He said they had never had the same breed of dog twice they had had in 51 years of marriage a Jack Russell, Bullmastiff, Lab and a Border Collie then then Coco the Staff.

So got me thinking what breed would you have or are you a died in the wool "That's my breed person"
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Hmm I don't know.. I've always had terrier types but also had a Landseer!
Depends on my living situation.. if I had a lot more space and lived more on the countryside I would want a bernese or great swiss, but I do love staffies.. and recently I've discovered shih tzus and bichons and I always wanted a poodle.
Gosh, I'm going to end up like crazy dog lady

To be honest, I have no idea. I think the right dog would find its way to me if/when I'm looking for one
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Always fancied a Bedlington Terrier but probably won't get one now .
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Well I have a variety but thought I'd always have a Dobermann in my life cos I luvs em but after having two strokes and being diagnosed fairly recently with a life threatening condition which means I'm likely to have more strokes in the future I've decided no more big dogs once the current ones go. Not for my sake but the OH would struggle with them if I popped my clogs. Any future dogs will be tiddlers and he adores the Pugs so that's what we'll have. We're certainly not deciding to have none.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2014, 04:01 PM
I`ve just done it
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I probably wouldn't have certain breeds now - because of the changes in laws, and general social views about dogs because of the changes, along with the way the press demonise some of our breeds making it all a vicious circle.

So maybe something like a Boston Terrier or Frenchie - still bully-ish but much smaller
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Keshi (from Cariad's final litter) is my last big Dog, I have to think of their needs and my ability to fulfil them as I'm clocking the mileage up now. I am looking at the Chinese Crested hairless or HH, I've always had a bit of a fascination for them. Can't imagine my life without a Utonagan to be honest, but I have to be practical long term.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2014, 05:11 PM
We have always rescued, it just so happens that the last few have been Lurchers!
We moved on to JRT because of the size and the hope that we would be able to manage one a bit better.
If there is another it will almost certainly be another JRT
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Keshi (from Cariad's final litter) is my last big Dog, I have to think of their needs and my ability to fulfil them as I'm clocking the mileage up now. I am looking at the Chinese Crested hairless or HH, I've always had a bit of a fascination for them. Can't imagine my life without a Utonagan to be honest, but I have to be practical long term.
Just out of curiosity, what's a HH?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Hairy Hairless
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »