View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nicola
New Member!

21-02-2005, 06:19 PM

stronghold (treatment for dem mange)

i have been advised by some one to use treatment called Stronghold for demadectic mange instead of the wash that the vets give you, i have a 4 month old bullmastiff that has it, has any one heard of this product? if so what are your views?

thanks Nicola
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 06:46 PM
If stronghold worked that is what the vet would have given you, it does work with Scarcoptes I believe but as far as I know not demerdex.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Hi Nicola,
Jackie is correct.Stronghold [selamectin] can be used for sarcoptic mange but is not a treatment for Demodex.I should imagine the wash your vet has given you is Aludex which is very effective in most cases.The thing to remember with Demodex is that you need to have 2 clear skin scrapes 6 weeks apart to make sure the dog is clear of any mites and you have finished the life cycle.Bathing with Aludex is usually once a week. Hope this helps....Cheers....Ian.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Yep, Stronghold works with Sarcoptic, but not demodex.

If the aludex doesn't work, (like with Teagan), then they might use the Ivomec injection.
nicola
New Member!

22-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all your replies i will contiune with the wash and hopefully it will work.
amanda-jane
Dogsey Junior

22-02-2005, 10:37 PM
It does help prevent the mites but not these type of mites the reason being is because the mites live in the dog in the hair folacule they do not jump on to the dog. The dog is born with it so it will never disapear it will only arise when the dog is stressed or it feeling low. Its horrible i do feel sorry for your dog.