Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 02:47 PM

Heading to the vet...

So, Nigredo is going into the vet tomorrow for his first "real" visit in quite some time.

Last Sept. (I think, might've been Oct.) he had his hips rayed and got tested for worms, but that was it. He's due in for vaccinations and a full wellness checkup tomorrow.

Nigredo is over 15 months old now, does he REALLY need parvo and lepto vaccines? I'm going to ask the vet about it of course.

But I mean I'm not sure I trust his judgment... the vets here can be IFFY (money grabbing) instead of truly helpful. This vet is nice enough (and does well with our dogs), but he's kinda like that from what I know of him.

I got him parvo, lapto, canine influenza, corona (I think that's what it's called), rabies, distemper, bordatella... ETC. when I got him, but only because it was part of the contract.

I really think he only needs his bases covered this time. Rabies, bordatella, distemper. Should I also get lepto and parvo? I mean I don't think he needs it and I:

A) Have strong opposition of over vaccinating dogs and
B) Have no money to waste if not absolutely needed

What does everyone think?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Being in the UK our vaccinations differ somewhat to yours in the USA. Is parvo prevelant where you are?. It is pretty bad here. If I were you I'd discuss it further with your own vet and possibly another vet over the phone. What do your neighbours dogs have as far as jabs are concerned? I hope you manage to get your queries answered.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 03:11 PM
We vaccinate fully up to 8 years old then get them tested to see if they need further vaccinations, most have been fine only two ever needed to carry on being vaccinated. But the testing is dearer than the vaccine so if it's money that worries you then the vaccine is likely best for you.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 03:19 PM
When you weigh up the cost of vaccinations against the cost of medical care if heaven forbide, he was to take one of these diseases Something to think about really.Hopefully the vet will advise on exactly what he needs.Have seen a dog with parvo,not something I'd wish to see again
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 03:41 PM
I didn't get my cats boosted and they lived to 17, 16 and 21 respectively!

However, my dogs do get the full vaccination on offer as they are constantly mixing with other dogs at agility shows. Three of them have just been for their boosters and have to return in a few weeks as the Lepto jab now covers four different strains rather than two as before so they have to be boosted for the two extra strains (no extra cost).

Fortunately, as well as getting a discount for 'bulk' I also got one free as I won a draw to update all our contacts!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 03:48 PM
My previous dog got Parvo... so I know it can be bad. $1000 vet bill, sick dog, and just a huge mess. NOT pleasant. But I have never seen a dog Nigredo's age with the disease and Brownie got it at age 3 months and died at age 15 years last year.

As for neighbors? The ones right near me don't even have dogs, and most other dogs are kept outside on chains and whatnot so really don't know if they vaccinate the dogs or not

Jade has never had any of these diseases, and has never been vaccinated for any of them. My parents never did vaccinate against parvo etc. when the dogs were young, but only Brownie managed to get it.

But I guess I'll go ahead with the vaccinations, the vet will probably say that anyway. Thanks everyone.

EDIT:
Also, we do deal with other dogs pretty frequently... but I just don't think his risk is high at all. These dogs are healthy (and so is Nigredo). He has to have the kennel cough for the program we're entering, but not the other vaccines. But I guess that probably means we should go ahead and get it.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Healthy dogs get diseases Myra..fact!Being healthy doesn't make them immune unfortunately
Your vet should be able to fill you in on everything you're concerned about.Be able to tell you if there has been recent cases of any of the diseases in question and you can make a decision based on that.Chances are he'll probably need a booster and that'll be it
Just reminded me Lacey needs a kennel cough yokey Thanks for that
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Please don't stint on the innoculations - there is a break out of Distemper in Wales. I know you are a long way, but it is spreading because owners have stopped innoculating to save money.

Just make it clear to vet that you'll only have done what is essential.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Of course, Eileen. Also, he is getting the distemper vaccine. There is no epidemic at this moment that I know of. Which is good.

The only vaccine I might go without is the lepto. Up until semi recently, I had no idea what it even was. Never seen a dog with it, don't hear of it a lot around here.

Also, I have heard that the vaccine only protects from certain strains of leptospira bacteria and that your dog is often still vulnerable. Will certainly ask vet what he thinks. Cannot find the phone ATM... or would ask now.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure what is prevalent there but I am not too keen on over vaccinating my dogs. My boys were given their series of puppy vaccines, including rabies, then only rabies every 3 years. They were titer tested about 1 year ago, or 1.5 years ago and they had antibodies present for the diseases (they are 4 years old now). Why on earth would a dog need to be vaccinated every year for the same diseases? Even with people, we are not vaccinated so often (unless it's the flu shot given yearly, even then it is recommended only for young children, the elderly, and health care workers).

The choice is ultimately yours since you live so far away from most of the rest here and will have different strains there. Speaking with a good vet would be best in your situation.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >