Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 05:34 PM

Grrrr ticks!!

Tick number 2!!

Found it on Millies forhead by accident when I was tickling her forhead I notticed the distinctive shape of those nasty we devils! But I got it out because my vet gave me a tick a remover the last time I was their and they really do work best fiver I spent ^^

so glad its out as their horrid things >.>
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 06:43 PM
This time of year???!!

I hate the things, but thought that we were in the safety zone now. Obviously not
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-12-2011, 06:59 PM
I have one of those little tick implements.
Pleased to say I haven't had to use it yet.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
This time of year???!!

I hate the things, but thought that we were in the safety zone now. Obviously not
no rest for the wicked!!

Its very mild at the moment in comparison to last year so it doesnt suprise me, so glad I trimmed her top not as I may have never seen it o.0
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't mind ticks, although Cain's never had one. I actually find them quite satisfying removing them, yep I'm weird we used to get hedgehogs in at work covered in ticks and I'd spend ages removing them. That's enough to get anyone over it.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 10:19 PM
I too would have thought that ticks were winding down at this time of year (sorry for the clock-related pun).

After a nasty encounter with the little beggars in the spring, I looked into ways to prevent them since - depending on where the ticks have come from and what kind they are - there is a risk of Lyme's disease to your dog (and indeed yourself) if they become attached and bite.

As a precaution, fearing that this year was going to be thick with ticks I bought Scalibor collars for my dogs, but fortunately haven't had to use them as I chose to walk in less risky places.

I also discovered that a flea or tick spray containing Pyrethrin is enough to deter ticks from landing on your dog in the first place. While I would never normally recommend anything made by Bob Martin, their cheap & nasty spray does contain pyrethrins and a light misting on your dog's legs, belly and tail before going into a tick-risk zone may well be enough.

Prevention is better than removal.... as I found out after a walk to a certain place where Merlin came home with seven ticks - one of them in a place where the sun don't shine, right under his tail in a very sensitive place. I challenge anyone to try using a tick-tool to remove one from the area around a dog's anus - you may well come off the worst. The best I could do was to squirt it with Frontline spray and wait for it to die.

I looked into tick deterrents and by chance I happened to go back to the same place, but before I went I misted him very lightly with a pyrethrin based insect deterrent, and a citronella oil solution. I also sprayed the inside of my friend's car, since there's no reason why ticks can't jump off the dog and hide there too! I found NO ticks on him at all that time, and luckily none since.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I too would have thought that ticks were winding down at this time of year (sorry for the clock-related pun).

After a nasty encounter with the little beggars in the spring, I looked into ways to prevent them since - depending on where the ticks have come from and what kind they are - there is a risk of Lyme's disease to your dog (and indeed yourself) if they become attached and bite.

As a precaution, fearing that this year was going to be thick with ticks I bought Scalibor collars for my dogs, but fortunately haven't had to use them as I chose to walk in less risky places.

I also discovered that a flea or tick spray containing Pyrethrin is enough to deter ticks from landing on your dog in the first place. While I would never normally recommend anything made by Bob Martin, their cheap & nasty spray does contain pyrethrins and a light misting on your dog's legs, belly and tail before going into a tick-risk zone may well be enough.

Prevention is better than removal.... as I found out after a walk to a certain place where Merlin came home with seven ticks - one of them in a place where the sun don't shine, right under his tail in a very sensitive place. I challenge anyone to try using a tick-tool to remove one from the area around a dog's anus - you may well come off the worst. The best I could do was to squirt it with Frontline spray and wait for it to die.

I looked into tick deterrents and by chance I happened to go back to the same place, but before I went I misted him very lightly with a pyrethrin based insect deterrent, and a citronella oil solution. I also sprayed the inside of my friend's car, since there's no reason why ticks can't jump off the dog and hide there too! I found NO ticks on him at all that time, and luckily none since.
Thanks for that I did frontline Millie very recently and the one I used was supposed to deter ticks! So I was quite shocked to find the little blood sucker on her forhead of all places how it got their is quite a mystery.

Unfortunately it did rain the day after I put it on her so im waiting for the rain to clear up before applying it again even though I had massaged it into her as instructed.

I was quite amazed that it came out so easily and no lump after either when the vet nurse did to show me how the first time it had left a lump that cleared after a couple of days.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Well done for removing it!! I detest ticks - when I was about 8 I found on the carpet what I thought was a sweet. Thank goodness I didn't attempt to eat it, it was a engorged tick about the size of a grape that must have fallen off one of our family dogs
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Well done for removing it!! I detest ticks - when I was about 8 I found on the carpet what I thought was a sweet. Thank goodness I didn't attempt to eat it, it was a engorged tick about the size of a grape that must have fallen off one of our family dogs

That is soooooooooo nightmare inducing at this time of night!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Thanks for that I did frontline Millie very recently and the one I used was supposed to deter ticks!
Unfortunately Frontline is not designed to deter ticks at all... I don't think any of the current spot-ons do. Which is why I looked into deterrents after Merlin's very -ahem -personal experience.

Obviously one would NOT use any other kind of chemicals such as tick sprays while also using spot ons, as that could be a chemical overload. [I will also say here that pyrethrins and pyrethrums must never be used on cats].

Dog owners living in countries like Spain and Italy where ticks are a much greater hazard than here - along with sandflies and other nasties that carry disease - rely on Scalibor collars almost all year round. They can be bought without prescription now online.

I would look into deterrents... ie. stuff which can be put on the dog temporarily when you are walking in known tick areas, such as citronella oil, and/or a very mild pyrethrin based spray. They also should not be overdone, so if you are getting ticks on a daily basis, get a Scalibor collar or walk elsewhere.

And if you have a car which the dogs travel in, treat the car as well! Acclaim will protect the car against fleas - I am amazed that people treat dogs first for fleas, forget the fact that fleas breed in soft furnishings such as homes and carpets etc so that need to be treated most of all - and don't even think about spraying their car!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >