Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trudy
New Member!
Female 

26-09-2007, 11:24 AM

help (dog to dog aggression)

i have 2 dobermans and dashound x they have been liveing together fine then yesterday my 2 dobermans almost killed my dashound he is still in vets i was in shock they have not ever been acressive to anyone or anything they are so loving.there was no provation.any advice please
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Shona gives good advice about these things,sorry I'm not able to give advice about these things,xxxxxxxxx.Hope your wee babe is ok,xxxxxxxxxxx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Can I ask how old all the dogs are, what sexs and how long you have had them?
Were there any food or toys around?
trudy
New Member!
Female 

26-09-2007, 02:31 PM
my 2 dobis are 1 is 11mths male the other one is 15mths female my little one is 7years male all are spayed.there was no food or toys all that happend was my little one got out to the front garden i let him in the front door the 2 dobis excitied and were jumping around him they all stared barking next thing i know they had him biteing him had him in there jaws .he has six wounds one is close to his hart we are still waiting too hear from vets.it took 3 off us too stop them.im just hartbroken over this.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 02:52 PM
My dachshund was the victim of attack by my other dogs so I know how you feel about this and what you must be going through.
Judging from the age of your two dobies they have both hit adolescence and took advantage of them finding their feet. It would have only taken one to react to your dachsie-x then the other would have joined in.
I feel the best thing for you is to find the dachsie-x a new home where he will be safe or alternatively rehome the two dobies in individual homes with experienced dobie owners.
I doubt very much that you'll be able to mix the dobies with you dachsie-x again.
I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but personally I wouldn't risk it.
Becky
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Ok what I think may have happened here is that as the Dachsie is older, he will have been 'top dog' all this time and now it seems the Dobes are challenging him for that position.

Also they could have been jealous that he'd been out front and they hadn't.

I wouldn't go rehoming any of them just yet though, see how your wee lad recovers but you will have to keep them seperate for some time, if not indefinately. I hope he recovers ok.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 03:05 PM
No real advice, there are many more experienced members to come though. Just sending thoughts and hugs, you must be in a bit of a mess right now. There are many of us here who will support you, so keep on posting.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Sorry to hijack....

As as aside, is it just Staffies who are prone to this behaviour?

I know plenty of people with other breeds of dog who have 1/2/several of same sex kept together without any problems.

Obviously we now have 2 male Boxers, but after speaking to lots of Boxer owners and breeders, no one has ever commented on dog/dog aggression.
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear of your mishap,hope the wee fellow is ok.When something like this happens,it is a great shock to the owner.Everything goes through your head.What have i done wrong,why did they turn on him.It can be many reasons.Love you could have a long list and still never know.The question you will be asking is will it happen again.The answer is when will it happen.Sorry to say.If you want to keep all the dogs,you will need to seperate them.It is hard to do,but its a must.You then have to manage on how to give them all the same time and attention.The only problem is if you seperate them,if they ever come face to face without supervision,the same will happen again.It hurts like mad when this happens,I know from my own experience.Plz keep in touch and let us know how you get on.Give my love to the wee chap.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by trudy View Post
my 2 dobis are 1 is 11mths male the other one is 15mths female my little one is 7years male all are spayed.there was no food or toys all that happend was my little one got out to the front garden i let him in the front door the 2 dobis excitied and were jumping around him they all stared barking next thing i know they had him biteing him had him in there jaws .he has six wounds one is close to his hart we are still waiting too hear from vets.it took 3 off us too stop them.im just heartbroken over this.
I can understand you feeling upset, this must be heartbreaking for you.

There could be many reasons for this, your Dobes are a similar age, and will be reaching the adolescence age at the same time, this could be a factor, I think you will need professional help with this, you need someone to see how your pack works, but I also think , you may have to face the fact one or both Dobes may need rehoming. hopefully it wont come to this .

I hope the little one is OK .

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Sorry to hijack....

As as aside, is it just Staffies who are prone to this behaviour?

I know plenty of people with other breeds of dog who have 1/2/several of same sex kept together without any problems.

Obviously we now have 2 male Boxers, but after speaking to lots of Boxer owners and breeders, no one has ever commented on dog/dog aggression.
Boxers are as capable as any other dog for dog on dog aggression, and especaily same sex aggression, having 2 male Boxers living together, is something, you will have to be aware of in the future, hopefully it wont raise its head, but most experienced Boxer breeders/owners, will be extremely careful keeping this combination together.... this does not mean it will happen, I know of many owners who have more than one male,and it can work out (all depends on the temperaments of the dogs) all female or female to male househould works the best.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >