Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sloughi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2005, 03:50 PM

Rescue problems

Hi there
Have this problem with my little resuce Rough Collie, wel 2 probs., actually !
I have had R.C's for the last 30+ years, and for my sins, always used to say, to Border Collie owners - "Too loopy for me, I'll stick to my Rough Collies! they are so laid back!" Now it is obvioisly 'pay back time' Jamie, the rescue, is giving me problems! He's fine - in house, but out on the cliff-top, will go 'bouncing up and shouting' at any dog. He'll pick the wrong one, one day !! Bought one of those anti-barking collars! - total waste of money!! He 'shouted' - the collar re-acted and he just went 'potty-dog, in circles, trying to find out where the noise was coming from !! Does he listen to me, no chance! bit like the rescue 'grey' in bunnie persiut, but thats another story, for anothe day!!! Anyway, that's problem no one, problem no 2 is that he suffers from colitis, I think I've gone through every dog food (thank gooodness, for the greyhound who will eat anything, so 'failures' are used up). At present, I've found he is fine on the Hills Canine ID from the vets, eats it and doesn't upset him but at £22.40. for a 5kgm bag, sod that for life!!.Bakers complete, sensitive, fine, no problems - no waking up to muscus covered poo (sorry) or that wonderful yellow bile, which nothing seems to remove! (does anyone know the answer to removing that stain from the carpet?) But 9 times out of 10 the little ******, turns his nose up and won't eat it. Can anyone help me with either of these problem
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 03:53 PM
try james wellbeloved dog kibble its 33 pounds for 15kilos and a little kitchen or bathroom cleaner spray onto the carpet and use a sponge to rub it out then clean with water and sponge...works for me and i have cream carpets!
Sloughi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks for reply, so quick, really impressed.!! Bit of a ludite on this computer 'thingy'. And really having problems with the 'dog web' site. Had loads of replies from people, most asked for pics of my 'woofies, would love to post some but been trying for days now!! ' Got into the photo-bucket site, wont accept my pics! Is there any other way I can post them? Is it possible I can attach them as an 'e' at least I've worked that out!
Thanks for the advice on the carpet cleaning, been down the James Wellbeloved road before, sorry, unless it's a 'menu' I haven't tried? Done the Chicken and Rice, Duck and rice !!
Regards
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 04:23 PM
will go 'bouncing up and shouting' at any dog
From what I can read you´re having probs with your dog going "mental" when it sees other dogs?
Not sure if you want him to behave on lead when you meet other dogs or you want him to be able to play with others while free?

Sorry for being dumb here, but besides for being blond I´m also not english, so could you help me?
Sloughi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Oh Bless,'
Also a Blond, - WE ARE NOT DUMB - just perceived as so! Can I Ask what nationality you are? Anyway to answer your question, Jamie is a really loving boy, and that's not me, defending him because he is my boy!! I KNOW the only reason he bounces up to other dogs, shouting, is because he want's to play. Sadly, there are dogs out there, who are not of the best temprement and Jamie may just 'pick' the wrong one!! Sadly I have to keep my other 'rescue' on lead, unless we are on the beach. There has been an absolute Bunnie explosion on the cliff tops and she is a greyhound, and unless I want to loose her, (no way I can catch a 'grey' when they take off!) Sadly she has to be on-lead!!
Hope to hear back
Regards
Chris
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 05:52 PM
My nationality is written on here:
Owns: Labrador

And btw: I have dyed my hair now (red) Not it helps though

Anyway, From what i can read your dog isn't paying any attention to you when you meet other dogs? Ears shut and it goes mental...right?
As it is a rescue I assume you dont know its past?
What about age? (did I miss that )

I would train a lot of contact with him and train calmness as well.
And go slow. Meet up with others from a distances first till you have full contact and the situation under control, then move forward (could take days, weeks, months really).

Dont take the lead off till you´re absolutely sure you can get him to stay calm with you and remember to praise a lot when you succeed.
Things takes time and its important you dont rush this.

I have a similar prob with my working lab when it comes to too many dummies flying in the air and theres lots of dogs around. Its like my dog is sure it wont get a single one unless it hurries up
And we train this every day....soon my (blond) dog will learn I hope
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2005, 05:56 PM
I had a rescue GSD x with colitis a few years ago - the only food that she tolerated was Chappy - dry or wet, both OK.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 08:23 PM
James Wellbeloved and Burns are good for sensitive stomachs. My Goldie Sasha is prone to upsets and is fine on either!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2005, 03:07 AM
Originally Posted by Sloughi
And really having problems with the 'dog web' site. Had loads of replies from people, most asked for pics of my 'woofies, would love to post some but been trying for days now!! ' Got into the photo-bucket site, wont accept my pics! Is there any other way I can post them? Is it possible I can attach them as an 'e' at least I've worked that out!
There are ste-by-step instructions on how to post pics here: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=10395

If you are having any problems finding your way around DW do not hesitate to contact a Mentor - you can see who's a Mentor by clicking on this link: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showgroups.php?

In addition, every Mentor has the words: Dogweb Mentor displayed underneath their names with their posts.