Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 02:54 PM

Feeding a dog slices of raw bacon

OMG

My friend has just told me that she gives her dog slices of RAW bacon as a treat.

What are your thoughts on this?

Mine are that it is discusting ( I told her so too ) and it is not healthy to give a dog that much fat. Also, pork is not too good for dogs anyway is it?

She says her dog loves it :smt078
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 03:12 PM
I give all my dogs the fat off my bacon (raw) and they love it. Not had any problems with it. Why do you think it's disgusting?
Becky
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't give a dog bacon on a regular basis (raw or otherwise) , it has a high salt content.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I give all my dogs the fat off my bacon (raw) and they love it. Not had any problems with it. Why do you think it's disgusting?
Becky
I am sure dogs do love it, but surely the fat is no good for them? I agree with mini too, it's very salty.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 03:20 PM
My dogs always get a rasher of bacon whenever I have it - but that is only every so often. Sometimes they have it cooked, sometimes raw - they love both.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I wouldn't give a dog bacon on a regular basis (raw or otherwise) , it has a high salt content.
For the same reason as salt alone.

Pork used to be a problem fed raw years back for a reason I can't remember, but with strict new guidleines having been brought in it is now no different to any other meat.

I feed my dogs raw meat and bones as part of their diet and have no problem with giving them pork. And because they receive no carbs in their diet they need the fat for energy so likewise I have no probs giving them any fat on the meat either.

The only reason the fat would be an issue for a kibble fed dog is that it is getting it's energy from the carbs in it's food and doesn't need extra. Then as a result of un used energy the dog could gain weight is all..If the dog is fine in weight, no problem.

But like mini said, the salt in bacon means that I don't chuck the rashers out for them. Though the odd one here or there, occassionaly, wouldn't hurt.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 04:01 PM
no chance in this house bacon gets cooked with eggs only LOL
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I give mine raw bacon,she loves it,only give it now and again,not an everyday thing,she only gets it if its the last rasher too!!
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Cant see any problem in the occasional treat of bit of bacon, its an occasional treat for Pete and I too, only on a Sunday or special holiday, dogs get a tiny taste, would never give too much of anything which would make them ill ie too much fat or salt but occasionally will do no harm at all dont worry about it, x
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 06:02 PM
All mine get the raw eggs/bacon/sausage etc out the fridge if its going out of date..
Never had any problems..

The only disgusting thing about it is the feel of the bacon on my fingers!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >