Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2008, 04:12 PM

Do your dogs 'like' children?

Just got back from walking the dogs and my usual walking space was packed with people especially families.

My eldest 2 were brought up with my children but by the time we got the youngest 2 my children were teenagers so they haven't really had any contact with young children.

None of my 4 bother any people at all but if we get asked if the children can stroke the dogs Meeka is always first in line, she dotes on children especially little blonde girls why, I don't know as I said, she hasn't had any contact with kids.

The eldest 2 will stand patiently whilst they are stroked but would just as much prefer to carry on with their walk. They can take or leave people.

Storm is wary of people and won't come close enough for people that he doesn't know to stroke him. However, last year we met a family with a child with Downs Syndrome that was scared of the dogs so I kept away from him while their other children stroked them. When we turned round Storm was sitting calmly next to this lads leg having his head stroked
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Fudge just loves children. She gets so excited when they all come home from school, the toybox gets a real hammering. I think she associates children with play and cuddles.When we walk to school she is in her elemnt at the school gate.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Jake does not and will go into the other room if any are round, though he is fine if he has to spend time.

Star loves them as they tend to have food

Skye loves them as they can play and play and play.

Storm was another who loved them for both the reasons Star and Skye do, food and play machines.
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Esther, our eldest, has a bit of a take it or leave it attitude.

Mia adores everyone and loves children. She loved it when she was on the Discover Dogs Stand last year, all that attention!

Lola is more a dog dog than a people dog. She likes people but if she had a choice, she'd much prefer to be with a dog than a human.

Jaz is generally very submissive towards everyone, but she is like Mia in that she loves any attention she gets!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 05:06 PM
millie - no scared of them.....
nnick =- is fine with them

i wouldnt say he likes them - hes fine with them - id trust him with them no problem - hes kissed a little 2 eyar old at his height ages ago n thought it was funny lol!!

millies getting better though!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Hhhhm, they are both fine with children, although, because my boys are so boisterous and bouncy, they don't have too much contact with them (plus, we don't have our own kids, and not many of our friends do)

They have been fine with our nephew who is 1, and fine with our friends boy who is 8 (although he has known them since they were both born)

Generally, most small children are "face height" so I'd be worried re face licking....
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Inca loves any attention at all tbh.
I was reading the noticeboard outside the hall up the road yesterday and when I turned round there was a girl of about 8 hanging round her giving her a huge hug, which Inca loved.

Tonto in't so keen on being handled but he loves going out the front with the boys and a ball.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 05:33 PM
My 2 love everybody, unless they are loitering outside their favourite window, then Ruby will give them what for!!

They love all Mia's school friends, sadly the feeling isnt always mutual as alot of her friends are scared of them, which is a real shame.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Cassie's really good with them and lets them pet her and she usually licks them like mad. She's a real people dog though rather than a doggy dog!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Reah is good with any age kids, but with the very young once she has had enough of being pulled around she goes into the other room or behind the settee.
Skye will except anything from kids of any age....have to watch the kids incase they get to rough...as Skye will put up with it
Bruce, he goes all wiggley and rolls around and round
So guess the anwer is yes
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >