Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2005, 09:58 PM

Rats - some advice

I know some of you one here have a rat or rats. and I wanted to post a link to an advice forum if that's OK? I won't do it until someone OK's it?

Anyway - there are somethings that people should now with rats - such as it's bordering on cruelty to keep them alone, and they need really nice big cages... but there's a lot more help on the other forum. If I'm not allowed to put the link - PM me and I will gladly give you it. It's a great forum

also - if anyone wants advice on rats - post here and i can help in anyway possible.

xx
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2005, 10:08 PM
hi zoundz

we keep only one rat and he seems very very happy
the kids are always playing with him
i would never be cruel to any animal
and yes he also has a huge cage
derbyrottie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2005, 10:11 PM
hey zoundz i think i know the site your on about and it was one of your posts that got me 'googling' the other week and its been really good - not getting a new rat till ive got my nice big ferplast furet extre large! just researching breeders in the midlands area- NIGHTMARE! - to put some new additions to my family in it! Unfortunately Betty passed away last thursday but after 8 years i am not get a pet shop ratty again..
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
I know some of you one here have a rat or rats. and I wanted to post a link to an advice forum if that's OK? I won't do it until someone OK's it?
I'm sorry Zoundz but DW rules state no links to other forums.
shibby69
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by jackiew
hi zoundz

we keep only one rat and he seems very very happy
the kids are always playing with him
i would never be cruel to any animal
and yes he also has a huge cage
hi i bet your rat is a very happy chap with lots of attention, but really, they do love a friend or two. i have two large groups of rats. my very first rat was kept alone but i have learnt alot now ant i know my current rats thrive with their cagemates
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2005, 11:18 PM
oh goodness me no - i never meant to say that anyone who has a lone rat is cruel... i'm sorry if I upset you at all.

I have several lone rats - what I meantwas people knowingly getting just one rat when they know that 2are happier with each other etc and then don't give it the attention it needs - I am sure in my heart that you do a fantastic job!

Ok - no matter then about link - but if anyone wants the link please just ask!

xx
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2005, 11:43 PM
no worries zoundz
we got taz because he was the only one in the pet shop and we felt very sorry for him
and he was 7 months old before we saw another one and i didn,t want to buy another one,put it in with taz and they didn,t get on,that is why he is a only rat
but we love him loads and he is always doing something naughty in my sons room
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2005, 10:56 AM
lol - yes - although intros can be done at a later age - it's not the easiest thing in the world - and if you're not over confident with them it's best to err on side of caution. I have a couple of lone rats for similar reasons. I have tried introductions and the fights that have broken out have been worrysome - so we agreed to let them exist alone.

xx
shibby69
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2005, 12:10 PM
yeah, intros can be tricky