Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 06:57 AM

Cat Questions

The world seems to care and more frequently campaign for dogs then it does cats.

Does this mean that cat owners are less responsible then dog owners?? Im not generalising here I believe their are many responsible cat owners out there but I feel a large chunk simply don't care that much about their feline friends as they do for dogs. Despite that cats are cheaper (even their pedigree versions are cheaper then dogs) cheaper to feed, cheaper to spay (as far as I know)) and insure?

I know of some people who just let their cats inbreed to large preportions and many would prefer a run of the mill heinz cat to a pedigree yet people make more of an effort when buying a pedigree dog.

Their are many pedigree breeds of cats so why are they not so popular? Surely price can't be an issue a dog is a lot more but their are many pedigre dogs out their that are popular but apart from the odd Siamese or bengal I hardly see anything else.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 07:20 AM
I have both...moggies and pedigree, I probably worry more about them than the dogs too as I like to know where they are and have them in every-night even been known to wait up for them

Im not sure if they are less expensive, mine are all vaccinated, neutered and chipped and if any signs of illness they are at the vets just like the dogs would be.

Have to admit apart from a Bengal (who lives a few doors up) and our British Blue we don't see pedigrees either around here
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
The world seems to care and more frequently campaign for dogs then it does cats.

Does this mean that cat owners are less responsible then dog owners??
if the world campaigns less for cats than dogs, wouldn that imply that cat owners are MORE responsible?

just a thought
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I have both...moggies and pedigree, I probably worry more about them than the dogs too as I like to know where they are and have them in every-night even been known to wait up for them

Im not sure if they are less expensive, mine are all vaccinated, neutered and chipped and if any signs of illness they are at the vets just like the dogs would be.

Have to admit apart from a Bengal (who lives a few doors up) and our British Blue we don't see pedigrees either around here
I see a lot of Bengals go up for adoption on the battersea website. Id like another cat but only once our house has been sorted we have to have a new wooden floor put in and some stuff done to the garden.

My last cat did not like changes at all and suffered from anxiaty quite badly. The sniff of another cat in the area would cause her to tear the fur out from her stomach and rump. She would also do her business behind the couch, under the bench,next to mums bed at night 0.o

we tried all sorts of remedies from the vets and took on any advice and tried out the felliway stuff which failed to work. She was a lovely cat despite her problems and lived to 21 years o.0

My other cat was Binx a recue that was half ragdoll and too friendly for her own good. I only had her a year before she was either stolen or run over as the dustbin men called to tell us they had found her collar.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
if the world campaigns less for cats than dogs, wouldn that imply that cat owners are MORE responsible?

just a thought
Good point but would that mean, that people are more aware about responsible dog ownership then cats? Or that others care less for cats then they do for dogs?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 07:37 AM
My cat was probably twice as much to feed as the dogs were in the end!

Cat owners are not responsible in law for the actions of their animals.

Cat owners are more likely to end up minus the cat for various reasons---unless they have enclosures or keep them indoors.

You don't see many pedigree cats because that is exactly what many owners do-----they don't walk them!

There are more cat behaviour problems but usually they happen BECAUSE the owners are what you presumably would describe as 'responsible' and don't allow their cats outside.

rune
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Good point but would that mean, that people are more aware about responsible dog ownership then cats? Or that others care less for cats then they do for dogs?
or their are less campaigns for cats as people dont treat them as bad as dogs?

or cats dont need the same level as 'care' as dogs, as they are independant?

or that dog people are more aware of 'responsible dog ownership' than cat people, as their is not such an issue of 'irresponsible cat ownership'?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I think a lot of people are more ignorant about pedigree cat breeds than dog breeds. The average person could probably tell you what a Labrador, German Shepherd, Chihuahua, etc., is, but probably couldn't identify and single pedigree cat breed. If I mention my British Shorthairs in conversation I am usually met with a blank expression.

Then there is the fact that most people would probably rather spend £30 on a moggy from the paper than pay £400 for a pedigree from a responsible breeder.

Cats are definitely far far easier to keep than dogs. There is no comparison there at all as far as I am concerned. They are not necessarily cheaper though. The amount spent on food for our cats and dogs per month is probably near enough equal.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 09:27 AM
My brother bought two Turkish Van cats from a 'responsible ' breeder----having done all the relevant homework and attended the cat show in London.

They ended up with one with severe HD and one diabetic.

They recently looked into getting a rescue dog and specified under a year. The person they got one from said he was just a year old and he was actually nearly two. Of course it doesn't matter and all three animals are/were very much loved. However my brother has a very jaded view of the honesty of anyone trying to sell/rehome any animal now.

rune
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2012, 09:36 AM
I think there is less need to get a pedigree cat than dog, as there is much less difference in size and behaviour. The main difference is looks, though I have a beautiful long coated moggy. With dogs, you would chose a breed to fit in with your lifestyle, but cats are generally just cats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >