View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 07:14 AM
I agree with TabithaJ. A halti can't be used with a longline or an extending lead, very dangerous as the dog can run up a lot of speed then get it's head whipped around and really damage it's neck. I use a halti on a normal lead for walking to heel, but switch to a flat collar when using his extending lead.

I have a reactive dog. I read Barbara's book and found it really useful. You are so lucky to live near enough to have a personal appointment with her! I bet she can help you loads. Good luck. Reactive dogs are a real learning curve, makes us all feel like novices
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I agree with TabithaJ. A halti can't be used with a longline or an extending lead, very dangerous as the dog can run up a lot of speed then get it's head whipped around and really damage it's neck. I use a halti on a normal lead for walking to heel, but switch to a flat collar when using his extending lead.

I have a reactive dog. I read Barbara's book and found it really useful. You are so lucky to live near enough to have a personal appointment with her! I bet she can help you loads. Good luck. Reactive dogs are a real learning curve, makes us all feel like novices

Totally agree - I naively thought that as I grew up with and walked a very large dog for 12 years, and then looked after a friend's extremely strong and big Labrador for a year and a half, that I would cope well with my own rescue Lab.

I had no idea what a 'reactive' dog even was!!

I can honestly say that the first month was hellish. The first six months were a real struggle. But after that point things started to improve, mainly down to the combination of a very good trainer and a head collar!!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by eyescrye View Post
Thanks i feel like such a novice,ive owned,rescued and fostered dogs all my life and i need to start again,nothing like a challenge,hahahaha,its always better to laugh...
I spoke to barbara sykes and am making an appointment with her,what a lovely lady and somehow i can just feel that she will help alot....thanks everyone
Barbara has a lifetime of experience of dogs & with her ongoing work with the rescue dogs, she continues learn. She used to live near me & her Meg was bred by a mutual(sadly deceased)friend
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Evie and i are going to see her next friday,it will be fantastic if she helps and im very sure she will,Thanks everyone.
Oh and moons mum,i dont live close im 4 hrs away from her,lol..but it will be worth it im sure and evie and i will stay over somewhere in a dog friendly b&b and visit a bit of yorkshire,lol.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Blimey Then I admire your dedication Im sure it'll be worth it. Make sure to come back and let us know how you got on.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 02:51 PM
How exciting! I`m looking forward to hearing about it.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2