Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2009, 10:05 PM
It is being shown in Scotland........
25 Feb 2009, 19:30 on BBC One (Scotland only)

and is on i-player.....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ht44f
spot
Dogsey Veteran

20-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I really despair sometimes of Joe Public.. how can you think a huge metal shed in Wales is a good place to get a pup? How can you think a pet shop chocka with cages is a good place? And an online site selling so many varieties?
I'm glad they ended the programme at the Mayhew - I hope some people take notice.
The problem is Joe Public is not aware of what goes on in these places,not only in Wales, what needs to be done is to educate and do everything anyone can to achieve it. It also needs people to protest against the authorities that allow these thing to continue.

So if anyone was horrified by these things look at the community projects against puppy farmer and get involved - please!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Apart from at the end where they promoted rescue (which was great), I really felt they missed the opportunity to educate where and what to look for when buying a puppy. It's great they mentioned seeing mum with pups but what about the rest like condition of mum, health certs, how many breeds the "breeder" sells, how well the breeder knows the breed, contracts etc etc? I also thought they were a bit too jokey with a subject that really has no room for that.

Sorry to sound so negative. It's good this was put out at primetime and hopefully will make some people think twice.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I suppose every little bit helps. They got the message over that seeing mum with pups was important.I also think the stress on the ill health of the pups bought from these farmers was well done. I would however have liked even a bullet pointed run through of how to do it right....
colliemagic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2009, 11:10 AM
I agree that there should have been more information about what to look for in a healthy pup. I felt that too much was made of the fact that only reputable breeders vaccinate so that was a way to check the health of the pup. IMO its more important to see the mum and littermates of the pups.

I also felt that the subject was taken too lightly, but to be fair its only a short programme and if it was too graphic people wouldnt have watched it. Lets hope that it generates as much comment as the programme about pedigree dogs did.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
Apart from at the end where they promoted rescue (which was great), I really felt they missed the opportunity to educate where and what to look for when buying a puppy. It's great they mentioned seeing mum with pups but what about the rest like condition of mum, health certs, how many breeds the "breeder" sells, how well the breeder knows the breed, contracts etc etc? I also thought they were a bit too jokey with a subject that really has no room for that.

Sorry to sound so negative. It's good this was put out at primetime and hopefully will make some people think twice.
If you watch it on i-player or look at the link there is info......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/consum...arms_pic.shtml

A bit basic but better than nothing. Should've been mentioned bullet point style in the programme itself.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3