Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2012, 06:06 PM

How many?

We all know that dogs shouldn't eat currents and grapes etc but just how many would prove toxic?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2012, 06:10 PM
All I can tell you is, my previous dogs always got the currants out of the nuts and raisins bags because I didn't like them and they never had any repercussions, so I would imagine it would be quite an amount to be toxic.

The person who knows on here is our Rosebud, so hopefully, she will see this and be along.

Why Jen? I hope Pepsi hasn't been at any of those mince pies of yours cooling on the worktop
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
All I can tell you is, my previous dogs always got the currants out of the nuts and raisins bags because I didn't like them and they never had any repercussions, so I would imagine it would be quite an amount to be toxic.

The person who knows on here is our Rosebud, so hopefully, she will see this and be along.

Why Jen? I hope Pepsi hasn't been at any of those mince pies of yours cooling on the worktop
Nah, I'm embroiled in an argument elsewhere, will I ever learn to keep my mouth shut?

BTW I agree with you
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Nah, I'm embroiled in an argument elsewhere, will I ever learn to keep my mouth shut?

BTW I agree with you
Well I guess it all depends on individual dogs , I think there is a guide line , but all I can tell you is, Bandit loved grapes and if he could have gotten to them (which he did on many an occasion) he would eat a bunch all at once, without any ill effects.

That`s not to say , another dog may fall sick if they ate that amount.

Millie also loves grapes and I have to confess I give her a couple now and again
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Bentley ate a raisin once, within the hour he did an explosive fart it was disgusting...and hilarious, especially after the telling off my husband got and him saying 'one won't hurt'...the fart narrowly missed his leg
We were at the vets the next day (about something else) and they said if he had eaten one of the small childsize packets of raisins he wouldn't have been so lucky. So for a small dog, it wouldn't take many to do harm.

My old boss was dogsitting for his daughter when she went on honeymoon, her lab (i think) ate the grapes straight off the vine in his garden and was dead within 24 hours. His Ridgeback had occasionally eaten them to no ill effect so he had no idea...

Not a definitive answer for you but I think size and constitution of the dog must certainly play a part.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Good question. My old dog loved grapes - I didn't know about them back then.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Years ago when making mincemeat in my old Sprong table top mincer the dogs used to eat any dried fruit which fell out with no adverse reactions.
My dogs also ate grapes quite happily.

I can only assume the recent health implications connected to dried fruit and grapes may be down to either pesticides or some kind of mould of recent origin. Or maybe some dogs are predisposed to have a reaction while others aren't.

So I wouldn't like to guess how many fruits prove toxic, I make sure my dog doesn't get any to be on the safe side
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2012, 07:09 PM
I guess it does depend on the dog.
I don't allow Peps to have them but Nippy would have killed for a grape and I used to give her quite a few.

This is what started all this, give me your opinions;

http://www.tellyads.com/show_movie.php?filename=TA15854
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Our last dog once stole 9 mince pies from the worktop (AND they had brandy in ) and never even turned a hair in discomfort. Mind you this was the dog that also ate a whole tray of frozen garlic bread slices; a complete chocolate cake; a loaf of bread (minus the last crust); a box of dates, and a box of belgian chocs. No, I was NOT careless - she was just impossibly clever! She never was ill from any of it.

So yes, I have to agree that it must depend on the dog to some extent, but I would never knowingly let a dog have any of the above.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Maybe it is a breed thing like ACP and boxers. So the thing, be it meds or food gets a bad reputation.

I rely on what ACP I still have to help collie in a storm. It works.And she is fine afterwards.

And so many here know their dogs so well...

I did not see the actual research; but because one dog died from grapes, the idea gets around that all will suffer.

And I wonder what it is in grapes and their dried relatives that causes the problem.

Clearly that is not so that all dogs get ill from grapes. I can remmeber when we had three pppies giving them grapes which they loved and no ill effects..
Maybe try a dog with one and see the result.. or in one case here, hear and smell it!

Never tried with ours. I am bad with fruit so tend not to buy it.. they get apples in their stew.

But I know collie has eaten fruit cake with no problems,

I just hate that people panic and worry because of ONE research paper.

So many myths go round don't they.

The list I saw was very long indeed of things toxic to dogs..and many vets read papers and apply them.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >