Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2006, 07:00 PM

Split claw - any advice?

Last week,Vegas managed to split one of his claws,but only irritates him when he catches it when jumping on other dogs etc-walking & running dont affect him at all.I didnt take him to vet cause i thought a lot of pavement walking would wear off the jaggedy bit (which it is),but is this something i should let a vet take a look at???

The claw is split all way upto the quick which did bleed a very small amount initially,but nothing since and he dont limp at all or lick it

Any thoughts before i go phone the peeps who know me everso well (vet)...?
patterdale fan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2006, 07:31 PM
My dogs have both done this before. Midge did it first. We took her to vets, but vet said nothing he could do, just to keep an eye on the claw in case of infection. When Jasper did the same we just bathed it in TCP straight away and reduced his exercise until the claw grew a bit. Maybe your dog will be OK, just look out for any signs of infection.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by patterdale fan
My dogs have both done this before. Midge did it first. We took her to vets, but vet said nothing he could do, just to keep an eye on the claw in case of infection. When Jasper did the same we just bathed it in TCP straight away and reduced his exercise until the claw grew a bit. Maybe your dog will be OK, just look out for any signs of infection.
Thanks for that PF-i thought the same that the vet wouldnt be able to do anything for him.Theres no sign of infection or inflamation and the claw is starting to wear off,but chances of stopping him from running about like a maniac-zero!

Thanks again!
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Ouch

I would give the vet a ring. It sounds like there's no need to take Vegas in but they will tell you what to do to make sure it stays clean and everything
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 07:39 PM
The main problem is getting an infection in the quick, so keep an eye on it and at the first sign of infection you should take him to the vet, otherwise it should grow back OK. The other problem may be that there is already damage to the quick and the nail will not grow back but again this is a problem you can keep an eye on.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap
Ouch

I would give the vet a ring. It sounds like there's no need to take Vegas in but they will tell you what to do to make sure it stays clean and everything
I'll go one better-i'll ask the lovley vet nurse who lives nearby BS!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
The main problem is getting an infection in the quick, so keep an eye on it and at the first sign of infection you should take him to the vet, otherwise it should grow back OK. The other problem may be that there is already damage to the quick and the nail will not grow back but again this is a problem you can keep an eye on.
I've been keeping an eye on it all the time Jackie and theres no swelling at all.Infact,its hard not to look at it as he always dumps his paw on my lap at every opportunity for fuss!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Don't think you need worry too much then, it may feel warm if it does become infected.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2006, 04:34 PM
I'd just keep checking it daily for infection, hope he's okay the big soft lad!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 09:47 PM
millie split her dew claw - luckily my horses vet was about and snipped it lol!!! didnt hurt - no infectionetc

id just ring your vet to check anyhow!

:smt001
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >