Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Thats brilliant news RD!
When you said at first about the bad news, I thought it sounded all wrong!

I will be getting Teagan re-scraped soon, so I can see if she needs any more treatment, or if she is all clear.

Glad things are loking up
Alco pup
New Member!

27-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Hi all. Im glad i found this site, Coz i got big probs with both my dogs indentical to others in this thread.

Currently i have spent over £700 on chip my jack russel ( 1 yr old) , and up todate ive spent £200 on Leo my 11 week old bringle SBT. I have changed vets twice as i feel they are throwing drugs at both my dogs to clear it up. Chip was falsely diagnosed twice with ringworm( common i hear) !! all along it was demodex. Chip spent 8 months of his life on malaseb and all sorts of rubbish steroids. he had scrapes etc but was never diagnosed with demodex.
Im soon going to be seeking legal action about the profitering of my local rip off vet! To me it was if the vet was going through everyother symptom & expensive drug needed to keep me coming back throwing hundreds of pounds at them.
Chips case of it seems to be calming down a bit now, From what i have gathered myself from the net etc his immune system is hardning up with age. allthough hes still got some thin hair coverage in places & red rash / mange. £ 700 less later & no drugs he seems better. No dip No pills or enjections. luckily hes recoverd. BTW i refuse to take chip to the vets regarding this problem now, they have nothing that works, if they do its dangerous to apply.
NOW Leo is concerning me. he's 12 weeks. @ we got him at 8 weeks. @ 9 weeks old he developed a pinkish patch on the top of his head and thinning hair. Now its getting worse, and im walking the same path as last time. Dodgey drugs that make your pets life hell. last week he had hair plucks, No culture was found. today he was sedated skin scrapped and diagnosed with demodex. God here comes the worst bit, I was also told he will need bathing with ALUDEX (Amitraz) - @ £20 ex vat... everyweek for 6 weeks. with a skinscrape halfway through the treatment.
Profiteering vets...Im going to have them! I have a bottle of auldex here... exactly the same can be bought at pet drugs.co.uk for >>>>>£13.26 inc vat...<< imagine how i feel, i said last year i wont be ripped off by another vet again, i have been today. Well there getting that bottle back tomorrow.
Leo's case is bad. I dont know what to do know, ive not used aludex on him yet dont want to really, it kills my lungs inhaling it sod being bathed in it. Comical really you go to the vets to get your loved pet better, after being ripped off and your dog being guinea pigged for months on end with pooey pills etc Iv'e had to do my own research on dermodex on trying to get my dogs better. I need to get the prob cleared up fast. Wish i could rely on my so called vets. with there 1000% markups on drugs..to do the trick.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Teagan was mis-diagnosed with Ringworm. Demodex and Ringworm both look so similar.
She was on Malaseb wash, and ther 'ringworm' didn't clear up, so they did the skin scrapes & hair pulls.
Unless you tell your vet not to - they will treat for what they think it is.
As for Aludex - a 6 week course of it is quite the norm. It can take a month or so after treatment with it to start noticing any difference though...
have you had the injection mentioned a few times given to your dogs? (I think the name is Ivermectin).
Teagan had this, after the Aludex didn't work (It doesn't work for all dogs), and after the injedtion, she started showing signs of improvement within about a week.

Have you read the whole of this thread?
There is a link to another thread, which also contains some useful information: http://dogweb.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5186

I paid about the same for the Aludex. No offence, but of course the vets are going to mark it up...how do you think they make profit to keep open? Overheads (rates/bills), wages etc.
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-03-2005, 03:35 PM
sorry to hear that alco pup... ill reply to you in a min

firstly, my little Rocky is now fighting fit, ALL his hair has grown back

ill explain what treatment was done....
1st visit to vet,
Demadex was diagnosed and i was given the scare of my life by a useless vet.... in the biggest vet place in town!!! i thought this was the best place??
im a 6' 4" and 17st bloke and i dont mind admitting i was nearly in tears when i left that vets....she basically told me that rocky was a gonner

2nd Visit to vet
new vet, second opinion....... great news, this vet was fuming with the other vet i told her about....she said Demedex mites was EASY to treat and not a problem at all.
after being heartbroken by the other vet, nevermind the crying kids and wife!!! i was a bit sceptical and didnt really believe what i was hearing.
at this point i started this thread and after some replies started to believe it wasnt all doom and gloom.

this vet gave rocky an injection (Ivomec i think it was)
also i got a course of antibiotics to stop his scratching causing the sores becoming infected.

also checked my other dog too, the vet said it can be passed on but its very rare

PS rocky poo'ed in the car on way to vets... ewww runny too

3rd visit to vets
1 week since last visit, rocky is losing hair fast!!!! looks like a pink pig!!
the vet want to keep rocky for a few hours to bath him..... i can pick him up later..
picked him up he dosnt look impressed lol

4th vist to vets
1 week since last visit, hes nearly no hair left hes bald and spotty
i asked whats the point of bathing him when hes no hair to wash anyway, vet said the mites are under the skin......Grrr little buggers
keeping him again for another bath...
strangely enough, a little amount of hair is on the back of his neck.... the vet put stronghold on to keep other mites etc away

5th visit to vets
week later...
his hair is starting to grow again... only just visible... and he is looking happier and playing more and he hasnt itched once all week, woohoo!!!
looks like we have turned a corner to recovery.... im so glad i tried another vet
rocky was given another bath and more antibiotics, and another injection to boost his imune system or something???

6th vist to vet
his hair is really growing!!! i can stroke him again now....i couldnt before because when you tried to stroke him your hand stuck to his rubbery skin
but hes got bum fluff hahah, had to stop him toy fighting with barney as the claws are scratching him.
vet was happy with him and said he would put him through the torment of another bath....
come back in 2 weeks

7th visit to vet
2 weeks and hair is growing back fast.....people who come to the house are commenting how much happier and lively he his now

hes that happy now hes started chewing in the house
instead of 5.1 sound on the DVD i now have 4.1.... wire chewed through.. no satellite signal, wire chewed through.... and only one speaker on the stereo!!!!
visit to B&Q new wires..... HIDDEN!!!!!
i prefered him ill..... just kidding

vets happy and said its looking cured, and was impressed at the speed his hair was growing back... he gave me some more stronghold and said any more problems to bring him straight back!!

since then he has had all his inoculation injections and his getting stronger with plenty of walking....
i couldnt walk him far at first because it was freezing and he had no coat... bought him a fluffy red one

that was 2 weeks ago....
he now nearly has all his hair back, just a little thin in places and hes happy... mainly cos he hates vets!! he cries when we put him in the car, he thinks he going back lol... poor bugger

so alco pup,
sounds like you need a second opinion also....
ask for the Ivomec injection, like Hevvur mentions
keep going to other vets to get your dogs checked until you find a vet that is confident that Demedex mites are NOT a serious problem...
i thought they was life threatening at first, i now have a perfectly healthy staffy who is a star.
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-03-2005, 07:20 PM
I have a mate had the same problem with demedex mites nothing from the vets would clear it and it was costing a fortune well we got talking to an old hand and he told him get Jeyes fluid and put a teaspoonful into a pint of water and mix it up and use it to bathe the area infected at first we thought it was a wind up but he convinced him and he tried it ...guess what it worked and the hair and all started to grow back after two weeks of treatment
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 06:56 PM
That's great news RD about little Rocky
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Cheers mate, im really chuffed

a big weight of my mind, and Rockys

Hopefully nothing will return and he can live a normal life now