View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2016, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about not feeling safe taking his bone away - I certainly would not bend down with my face exposed to Ben and remove a bone. What I do with Ben when I have to take something off him that he does not want me to take is I mainly use my feet - at the end of the day a snap at your shod feet is a lot less dangerous than a snap at your unprotected face! I walk completely into his space with an erect posture, keeping my arms and hands well out of reach and nudge him gently but firmly with my knee and tell him "Leave!" in a very assertive voice. When he drops the bone, I quickly flick it away with my foot, and at the same time give him a reward - one of his favourite treats is Applaws kibble, a sack of which we bought for just such occasions. He adores them, and considers that a cutlet for a cutlet. Some people may think it is wrong to reward a dog when he has growled at you, but I don't think so - after all, if someone whipped away my fish and chips when I was eating them I would likely shove a fork through their hand!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Having said that, this is how I behave with Ben. With Hal, whom we had from a puppy, I trusted him implicitly and would just take the bone or whatever it was from him - he would growl and huff and puff, but just hot air. With Ben, I am not so sure. I don't trust him 100% like I would a dog whom I had owned from puppyhood and trained myself.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2016, 03:34 PM
I think before you try taking bones away you need to train a solid "leave it" or "Give" preferably both. I've done it with adults and pups and had equal success. That way no one is set up to fail and you don't get snapped at. Lots of praise when they give things up willingly too.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I think before you try taking bones away you need to train a solid "leave it" or "Give" preferably both. I've done it with adults and pups and had equal success. That way no one is set up to fail and you don't get snapped at. Lots of praise when they give things up willingly too.
Yes, I agree with a dog you have had from puppyhood, or at least who doesn't have issues - Ben will never give up a bone willingly - but he does let us take it in the manner described without WW3 breaking out!! Normally I would never reward bad behaviour, much preferring to reward positive behaviour, but sometimes you have to break your own rules, roll with the punches. maybe in time, Ben will willingly "give" a bone, but I have my doubts. We can take his bowl of food away now without quibble - it is just bones that he is, understandably, so possessive of.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Yes, I agree with a dog you have had from puppyhood, or at least who doesn't have issues - Ben will never give up a bone willingly - but he does let us take it in the manner described without WW3 breaking out!! Normally I would never reward bad behaviour, much preferring to reward positive behaviour, but sometimes you have to break your own rules, roll with the punches. maybe in time, Ben will willingly "give" a bone, but I have my doubts. We can take his bowl of food away now without quibble - it is just bones that he is, understandably, so possessive of.
It worked with Milan my black Dobermann and she had resource guarding issues. I was her 5th home and she'd been living on the streets shortly before she came here.
landseer
New Member!
Male 

19-08-2016, 04:05 PM
You have a dog. I've always lived by the idea that you respect the fact that it's a dog, treat it like a dog - let it be a dog. Raise the dog, nourish the breed. It's never failed me. It's not a cat or a hamster or a child, it's a dog.

If the dog is indeed a rat terrier, then it's a vermin dog. Find an analogue for hunting or simply take it out hunting. Yes, the dog needs exercise, but a physically tired dog only goes so far. It needs that mental stimulation - hence "bored". Chances are if you show the dog a rat or a mouse, it's a dead rodent - but there's certain things that it needs to learn when it comes to hunting. Gopher fields are an awesome way to mentally burn down a terrier breed. My pin would spend 2 hours running hole to hole, digging, chewing - never did catch a gopher, he never learned how to do it. Would have to stop him to get some water into him. But back in the car he would simply crater, he's exhausted but utterly satisfied.
clivwill
New Member!
Male 

19-08-2016, 06:54 PM
Do not return that sweet dog. Maybe the terrier is what you need to boost up your life. Rat terriers are very energetic and thus will get bored after a while. These dogs were bred initially to hunt vermin. All you need to do is create an area for the dog to act out it's so called destructive ways. Rat terriers are inquisitive and will definitely explore their new terrain and try to make it self as active as possible by chewing or fighting with a few slippers, a towel or your underwear. Get the dog enough play items to keep him interested and busy.
www.dogcatplace.com
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-08-2016, 02:48 AM
My sister and my niece both have Rat Terriers. My niece doesn't do anything with hers but my sister does Agility with hers and she had done really well. As well as them getting some exercise, you also need to teach them to relax when they are in the house. I often stuff a kong with canned dog food and freeze it and that keeps my dogs entertained for a long time.
Swifty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2016, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
My own personal point of view is that it is unreasonable to leave a dog home alone all day. If you have 2 dogs or more that is a bit better, but not much. Dogs are pack animals and they view you as pack leader. If you go out to work full time or part time and leave them home alone they view that as a punishment, that they have done something wrong. They get bored and restless, stressed by the perceived rejection and will then turn their attention to destructive behaviours. It is possible of course for a dog or dogs to be left alone for long periods of time without them destroying the house, but they are the rarity ... I think at best you have the wrong dog there ... Terriers need a lot of stimulation and exercise ... But my own thoughts are that you really are not doggie people ... Sorry if that sounds harsh x gnasher
Gnasher, you may be wealthy, but it is my personal view that people who can not afford a dog because they do not have a job to go to, should not own a dog in the first place. Putting this woman down for having a job is just not acceptable.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2016, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
Gnasher, you may be wealthy, but it is my personal view that people who can not afford a dog because they do not have a job to go to, should not own a dog in the first place. Putting this woman down for having a job is just not acceptable.
Where have I put the poster down for having a job? I have merely stated the facts as I see them ... in the best interests of the dog.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >