View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Yes of course there are dogs that require a lot less exercise than a terrier. Dogs known as companion dogs, who like nothing more than a comfortable lap to curl up on but they also get quite stressed when that lap isn't around, so they do better as a pair, that way they have company although they may be quite happy with the cats for company. Pugs, Cavalier king Charles known here as Cavvies, Shih tzu and Lhasa Apso's.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by internetUserXV View Post
No, it is not harsh. You and Trouble are giving some good points and advice here. I will talk about it and see what my wife thinks as well, but this is why I wanted to come and post here, to get good advice from experienced dogs owners.

It is interesting though that you said we are not doggie people.... I mean I understand that dogs need love, attention, and exercise, but is there a breed out there that tends to need less exercise or much less high energy? If so I would love to look into a breed like that because I would love a dog, although I would hate to think that we can't own a dog because we just can't invest so much energy time for any breed out there, and if that's the case, then maybe we are just "cat" people
Gosh, I wish there were more people like you ... if there were, perhaps there wouldn't be so many unwanted dogs who have to be put down every year; you do sound to be very clued up and I am sorry if I have insulted you by describing you and your wife as "not doggie people". That might be very unfair of me - it could well be that the rescue place where you acquired your terrier from have just mismatched you. I think I am placing unreasonable expectations on your shoulders, based on my own rather extreme lifestyle that I have had to adopt with my particular choice of dog!! I apologise for that.

With reflection, would you consider an older dog? Several years ago we rescued an elderly collie who really did not want or need much exercise. He got it however because we considered it was in his best interests, and he accepted it with good grace, but he would have been just as happy left in front of the fire at home! Would you consider a toy breed like a chihuahua or a pug? Both those breeds love exercise, but equally they love to snuggle and cuddle up on the sofa - they are very much people dogs - the pack thing again!

I am a bit ashamed of myself at this moment
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I think the fact that you specifically explained to the rescue exactly what your set up was and your basic requirements, who then gave you a dog that was entirs ely opposite, does not reflect well on that rescue. Unsurprisingly this dog does not fit your lifestyle and never will, end of.
So you can either keep the dog and try and meet its needs, or you can find him a home that will meet his needs, he is a working dog and needs a job, the best you can offer him is a warm place by the fire, medical attention, food and walks. Incidentally, I am not at all sure you should be going running with a young dog, impacts badly on the skeleton and he could end up with severe problems in later years, think of it as taking a 5 year old to run a marathon, you wouldn't would you. Not criticising, how would you know, no ones bothered to educate you.
I think an older dog that is looking for a quiet life is the better match in your set of circumstances
Missed seeing this JunE!

As always, June gives excellent advice. I agree exactly with what she says - the rescue were very neglectful.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2016, 04:04 PM
I'm with Gnasher and Tawneywolf here in placing the blame for this mismatch squarely on the rescue. You went in with a clear idea of the sort of character you were looking for in a dog, explained your lives and situation to them, and they matched you with a rat terrier mix? Really? When I saw the title for your post I thought maybe the rescue could work with you to find a more suitable match, but it seems pretty clear that they haven't a clue. This is totally not your fault, and it is not at all unreasonable for you to have expected better of them.

One thing I might suggest is that you contact a breed rescue, if there's one in your area, or within reasonable distance. They might be able to help find a more suitable situation for Pongo, especially if you're willing to keep looking after him in the interim. They'll understand his temperament, so you'll have the comfort of knowing he won't be misplaced.

And yes, there are lazy dogs. Would you consider something along the lines of a greyhound? Yes, they run, and when they get going you'll have a dog by your side one second and a blur on the horizon the next, but they generally only want to do that for 20 minutes a day and then they're quite content to curl up by the fire. Many end up in rescue; there might be a perfect one for you waiting somewhere.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2016, 06:22 AM
The rescue should never have offered a young terrier to people without a fenced garden, who have cats and work all day. You are as much a victim here as Pongo and it is great that you are trying to do the best for him. Think carefully, if you cannot adapt to his needs, then you are doing the right thing to consider giving him up.

Old dogs tend to require frequent toilet breaks, so maybe a good idea would be to research what type of dog would benefit from a loving home with you and then look again. I'd suggest a retired Greyhound or 2 as the right one would be calm, lazy and loving.
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2016, 12:43 PM
I will say the same thing that has been said before, that rescue you got the dog from did not know what they were doing. It could be possible they just wanted to get "rid" of the dog and didn't care about his needs as well as yours.

Yes to the person who suggested a retired greyhound. They need homes too. We have a greyhound mix and he is great! He hardly ever barks and rests much of the day. He does ask to go out more frequently as he is now 9 yrs old. He is also great with cats, rabbits, and children. I wish you luck.
internetUserXV
New Member!
Male 

15-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Hello everyone,

I just want to thank everyone for their feedback. So let me give everyone an update since I last posted here.

So after the feedback, I wanted to take a really hard look at what I could do better to give our dog a better life so I did the following:

1) After some practice walking around my neighborhood meeting other dogs in a controlled situation (ie on his leash), this last Sunday we took him to his first outing to a dog park unleashed to burn off some energy. We were there for about an hour and a half and although he still has A LOT of energy at least he looked a bit happier when he had to be home for most of the day.

2) I try to take him out with me to dog-friendly stores as much as possible (although he still needs training not to pee in places sometimes)

3) To keep him busy when we are not out I brought a laser pointer that he likes to chase around the house (that seems to wear him out a bit

4) We brought a frozen bone with some meat on it for him to chew and keep busy (although I am not sure if I like him to have it... since he is a little aggressive/ he will bite you if you're not careful about how you approach him)

So in conclusion, although we are not active people, we are trying to put more effort in. I don't think we will be able to take the dog to the dog park during the day at least, so it will still be an issue on what to do while he is home all day, but I am trying to come up with a solution. The frozen bone may be doing the trick, and we brought him some more toys, but hopefully he will be happier and not as bored.

Again thanks again, and I will be sure to give everyone another update and if there is more feedback, please I am open to hear more. Any other tricks I can use to keep him occuppied?
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the update! I think it is great you are trying to find a solution and keep the dog. Could you take him for a walk before you have to leave for the day? Could you come home at lunch and take him for a bit of a walk? Not sure what else to suggest but looking for solutions is great!
internetUserXV
New Member!
Male 

15-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
Thanks for the update! I think it is great you are trying to find a solution and keep the dog. Could you take him for a walk before you have to leave for the day? Could you come home at lunch and take him for a bit of a walk? Not sure what else to suggest but looking for solutions is great!
Yes! I usually take him for a 15 - 20-minute walk before I go to work, but there's not enough time for me to take him to a dog park before I go to work. Other than that weekends are the best time for me because I can stay longer.

As for lunch I the only thing I can really do is come back home for about 10 minutes for him to get a bathroom break, and make sure he is okay and then I have to be back at work

I will see about getting up earlier to take him to the dog park, or go after work, which may work out better, but unfortunately, I don't get enough of a break to really give him enough entertainment time to do things during lunch time mid-day
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Maybe a dog walker for a mid day walk?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >