Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Royal Canin question

Has anyone had problems switching from mini puppy to mini adult? Blu is due to change soon but a few of my friends have had problems when changing. Theirs dogs coats have fell out in some bits with really bad skin rashes. Cheeko tried the adult food and ended up with really bad tear stanining. It was thick brown all over his face and took months to grow out. Blu has a bit of a funny tummy so I'm kind of dreading changing over.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Has anyone had problems switching from mini puppy to mini adult? Blu is due to change soon but a few of my friends have had problems when changing. Theirs dogs coats have fell out in some bits with really bad skin rashes. Cheeko tried the adult food and ended up with really bad tear stanining. It was thick brown all over his face and took months to grow out. Blu has a bit of a funny tummy so I'm kind of dreading changing over.
I had to take Harvey off RC because of skin issues. His tear staining was very bad too, although I didnt associate it at the time. He is now on Pro Plan. The tear staining isnt nearly so bad. I was shocked as RC is ranked one of the top foods.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I do like the RC for Blu but it does seem expensive compared to JWB that Cheeko is on. Problem is Blu is allergic to JWB. He gets so ill with so many foods so I'm not sure what to change him to. I tried feeding him RAW but even then his stomach was going funny unless he got hard food along side. We won a bag of food last week at the show and he is fine with it but.. he doesn't like it Only eats it when he sees Cheeko eating it.

This was Cheeko's tear staning getting better after coming off of RC..! Plus it was all over his bum too.

Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I do like the RC for Blu but it does seem expensive compared to JWB that Cheeko is on. Problem is Blu is allergic to JWB. He gets so ill with so many foods so I'm not sure what to change him to. I tried feeding him RAW but even then his stomach was going funny unless he got hard food along side. We won a bag of food last week at the show and he is fine with it but.. he doesn't like it Only eats it when he sees Cheeko eating it.

This was Cheeko's tear staning getting better after coming off of RC..! Plus it was all over his bum too.

Yes, that is just what Harvey's was like, it isnt nearly so bad on Pro Plan.

What way is Blu's tummy affected - is he sick or has diarrhea?
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2010, 09:43 AM
He has diarrhea, passes blood and mucus, sick all the time, scratching loads and neither him or me had any sleep really because he was up all night just being ill. Vet gave him some injections and told us to only feed him tinned food until it settled down then he was fine. He was only around 10 weeks old so it was awful. Even now when he managed to get even 1 bit of Cheeko's food it all starts!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 10:32 AM
He has diarrhea, passes blood and mucus, sick all the time, scratching loads and neither him or me had any sleep really because he was up all night just being ill. Vet gave him some injections and told us to only feed him tinned food until it settled down then he was fine. He was only around 10 weeks old so it was awful. Even now when he managed to get even 1 bit of Cheeko's food it all starts!
Best food for this type of reaction without going onto a perscription diet is Wafcol salmon & Potato. You probably know to do any food changeover over 5 days, in your case i would do it over 10. Sounds extreme, not really, i have one who was exactly same. It works. Wafcol do breed size food so that will help too. Soak his food first & split his meals into 3/4 smaller feeds per day. This gives the digestion less to work on at anyone time. If he is fussy about the Wafcol you can mix a little minced chicken (do it in a food processor) through it. Once the food is soaked, mash it up with a fork & mix chick through it. If chick is minced he cant pick it out. If you add likes tuna, drain off all the oil, then add hot water to the fish in the tin, shake lightly & drain off, do several times to get as much off the oul off as you can. Yep i have to do it. You can buy tins of pink salmon quite reasonably in Tesco & Asda. Drain off the liquid & mix some of the fish through his kibble. Ours get this as a v special treat

I fed raw for a year, unfortunately it didnt work out & had to go back to prepared food. Some it works for, some it doesnt.

Ive come to the conclusion, RC is too rich for some dogs. Wafcol is a blander food made specifically for dogs with not so robust digestions.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 12:15 PM
hmmm just read this and find it really interesting. daphni is on royal canin mini adult and she gets really bad tear staining. i never thought to associate it with the food, but she never got it on the mini junior, ive noticed her coat condition isnt the best at the minute either. think it could be time for a change then....
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Best food for this type of reaction without going onto a perscription diet is Wafcol salmon & Potato. You probably know to do any food changeover over 5 days, in your case i would do it over 10. Sounds extreme, not really, i have one who was exactly same. It works. Wafcol do breed size food so that will help too. Soak his food first & split his meals into 3/4 smaller feeds per day. This gives the digestion less to work on at anyone time. If he is fussy about the Wafcol you can mix a little minced chicken (do it in a food processor) through it. Once the food is soaked, mash it up with a fork & mix chick through it. If chick is minced he cant pick it out. If you add likes tuna, drain off all the oil, then add hot water to the fish in the tin, shake lightly & drain off, do several times to get as much off the oul off as you can. Yep i have to do it. You can buy tins of pink salmon quite reasonably in Tesco & Asda. Drain off the liquid & mix some of the fish through his kibble. Ours get this as a v special treat

I fed raw for a year, unfortunately it didnt work out & had to go back to prepared food. Some it works for, some it doesnt.

Ive come to the conclusion, RC is too rich for some dogs. Wafcol is a blander food made specifically for dogs with not so robust digestions.
Thanks I'll try him on this then. With his neck I don't really want to switch him to adult RC and makes his skin worse!

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
hmmm just read this and find it really interesting. daphni is on royal canin mini adult and she gets really bad tear staining. i never thought to associate it with the food, but she never got it on the mini junior, ive noticed her coat condition isnt the best at the minute either. think it could be time for a change then....
Would be interestnig to hear if your dog gets better if you switch!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Harvey's a lot better on the Pro Plan, his staining is much less. Im really glad you mentioned it Blu about the staining I mean. Learn something new every day

How is your boy today?
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I can't tell if his neck is better or worst if I'm honest. It looks greenish to me but I can't tell if thats just flaky skin or not. The small bits round about the main bit have healed already but the main part looks bigger to me! Just had to 'bath' him because he so badly needs a bath with his coat changing. Sprayed him with water and conditioner and combed the matts out. Will need to do until it heals up and he has an obediance show tomorrow Hopefully he will beable to sit stay long enough
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >