Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:13 PM

How do I shorten a link please?

I'm building a new website, and I want to place a few links on a page, but they come out soooooo long! Anyone help me please with our to shorten one or even turning a link into a "here" would be good! thanks!

P.s. I suppose I AM allowed to just put a few links up on my website without the permission of the site owner??? Dunno about that either!
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Simple HTML code is

<a href="URL HERE"> WORD HERE </a>

Are you using a site wizard ?

If so just type the word, highlight it & click the add link icon & add the URL.
They all work differently but that's 2 options.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-01-2011, 12:46 AM
^^What Lorraine said.

EG:

<a href="http://www.dogsey.com">Dogsey - The Site for Dog Lovers!</a>
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by *Lorraine* View Post
Simple HTML code is

<a href="URL HERE"> WORD HERE </a>

Are you using a site wizard ?

If so just type the word, highlight it & click the add link icon & add the URL.
They all work differently but that's 2 options.
Hi Lorraine, so let me see if I've read this correctly, what I do is:-
a) first copy the URL to my clipboard
b) type that line above but where you've written '"URL here" I paste in the link from ny clipboard
c) and where you've writtten WORD HERE I type in what I want to say e.g. 'look here' or 'here' or such like.
d) all those funny < and > have to go exactly where you've written them above ..........yes

Sounds logical, maybe I should just try it
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Hi Lorraine, so let me see if I've read this correctly, what I do is:-
a) first copy the URL to my clipboard
b) type that line above but where you've written '"URL here" I paste in the link from ny clipboard
c) and where you've writtten WORD HERE I type in what I want to say e.g. 'look here' or 'here' or such like.
d) all those funny < and > have to go exactly where you've written them above ..........yes

Sounds logical, maybe I should just try it

Yes, it might help if you copy it into notepad or word ( & save it) Then add the URL & your link word.
Leave everything else as it is, even the speech marks.
HTML is very easy, once you know the basic tags.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-01-2011, 10:45 AM
OK for anyone over 50 who wants to chat about anything they should <a href="http://www.over50sforum.com/"> look here</a>

OK I give up

I suppose there's a wrong 'space' or maybe the inverted commas shouldn't be there (They were in your post 2 above) so what's wrong
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
OK for anyone over 50 who wants to chat about anything they should <a href="http://www.over50sforum.com/"> look here</a>

OK I give up

I suppose there's a wrong 'space' or maybe the inverted commas shouldn't be there (They were in your post 2 above) so what's wrong
Are you trying to get that link to work here on the forum? The above format is HTML and most forums use BBcode instead. In BBcode it would be (ignore the "HTML code bit but it's the only way to make the forum display the code rather than make it into the link I've told it to)
HTML Code:
OK for anyone over 50 who wants to chat about anything they should [URL="http://www.over50sforum.com"]look here[/URL]
Which will display as:
OK for anyone over 50 who wants to chat about anything they should look here

If it's for a webpage rather than the forum, then you need to ensure you're editing the HTML version of the page, e.g. you open "file.htm" in Notepad or a website editing program that has a feature to edit HTML, just pasting it into one of the WYSIWYG website templates that does all the HTML for you won't work.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by *Lorraine* View Post
HTML is very easy, once you know the basic tags.

might be easy for you Lorraine but it ain't working for me

I can't see what I've done wrong so I'll give it another go:-

To access the Over Fifties forum
<a href="http://www.over50sforum.com/"> look here</a>

ETA:-

No still not wanting to do it (Mutters swear words at who ever invented HTML!!)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Are you trying to get that link to work here on the forum? The above format is HTML and most forums use BBcode instead. In BBcode it would be (ignore the "HTML code bit but it's the only way to make the forum display the code rather than make it into the link I've told it to)
HTML Code:
OK for anyone over 50 who wants to chat about anything they should [url="http://www.over50sforum.com"]look here[/url]
Which will display as:
OK for anyone over 50 who wants to chat about anything they should look here

If it's for a webpage rather than the forum, then you need to ensure you're editing the HTML version of the page, e.g. you open "file.htm" in Notepad or a website editing program that has a feature to edit HTML, just pasting it into one of the WYSIWYG website templates that does all the HTML for you won't work.
Oh heck, no one said anything about web sites and foruums being in different formats, I'm not going to get into website editing programs to hell with it, if I need to paste a link I'll just paste the whole link, that has worked OK for me in the past, sorry but it's obviously not as easy as it sounds
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Where are you trying to paste links? On the forum?
The original post is about posting links on a website that the OP is creating so OP would most likely be editing the website in some kind of website editing program, hence the instructions. If you're talking about posting links on a forum then it's no wonder you're not finding it easy, because you're reading a thread about something different! It would be a bit like reading a thread about how to use gears in a car (which is easy enough once you get the hang of it) and then trying to use those instructions in an automatic.
Posting a link on a forum is a bit different but much simplier. You just need to use the appropriate code for the forum - most use BBcode nowadays which is the stuff with square brackets like [these]. [img] for a picture, [url] for a link, etc.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >